Last Updated : Jun 26,2023
Viewed 24931 times
What is an Idli batter?
Idli batter is a healthy, readily available batter to make idli( South Indian rice based pancake) batter in minutes. Idli is a savory cake popular throughout south India. The cakes are usually two to three inches in diameter and are made by steaming a batter consisting of fermented lentils(de-husked) and rice. The fermentation process breaks down the starches so that they are more readily metabolised by the body. It is a typical South Indian dish, eaten for breakfast or dinner, and is rich in carbohydrates and protein. The idli batter has all the necessary ingredients in the right quantity.
Preparation of idli requires correct amount of rice flour and pulses. The batter needs to be also fermented optimally and of correct consistency. In order to overcome these difficulties, readymade idli batters has been developed availaible in local gorceries or shops.
These batters are a delightful and easy way to make the most mouth watering delicacies at home. Whether it is a special occasion or just a regular meal, prepare a delectable snack or meal for your family in minutes!
How to Select idli batter
Readymade idli batters are available all over India. They are fermented and can be used instantly to make idlis at home.
Culinary uses of idli batter
Uttapam is a great breakfast snack to have and made Mini Cheese Uttapa
using Idli batter this time.
Gujarati Food is also influenced with recipes with Idli batter.
Your Khatta Dhokla and Vegetable Handvo got quicker to make thanks to Idli batter.
• Idli batter is used to prepare a popular South Indian delicacy called Idli.
• Most often eaten at breakfast or as a snack, idlis are usually served in pairs with chutney, sambar, or other accompaniments. Mixtures of crushed dry spices such as milagai podi are the preferred condiment for idlis eaten on the go
• The idli batter can be used to prepare masala idli, stuffed idli, kanchipuram idli and fried idlis. Onion, chillies, tomato, coconut or cheese may be added to improve taste and variation.
• They can be stuffed with vegetables, meats and sauces to create a quickly prepared meal
• Idli Burger is another variation that can be made easily.
• Idlis are sometimes steamed in a wrapping of leaves such as banana leaves or jackfruit leaves.
How to Store idli batter
Store the mix in an airtight container and keep it in refriegrator not for more than 4 days.
Health Benefits of idli batter
• Those with wheat allergies or gluten intolerance will find the Idlis a nice addition to their diets.
• Idli batter provides a balanced combination of carbohydrate( rice) and protein( lentils) and hence helps in preparing a quick and healthy meal.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.