Dhokla Sushi with Bell Peppers
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 61 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 75965 times
Love the exotic flavour of Sushi but don’t have the time to prepare it, or don’t have access to the ingredients? Not to worry. We have brought together Indian and Japanese styles to create a dhokla-based sushi, which anybody can make and enjoy any time!
You can also surprise your guests with this innovative snack. We use a base of idli batter cooked in a dhokla thali for the sushi. This base is then lined with black sesame seeds and coconut on one side, and a cheesy, spicy garlic chutney on the other.
Crunchy capsicum strips are placed on the idli base before rolling and cutting it up like a sushi! Serve the Dhokla Sushi with Bell Peppers with the wasabi mayo mix to complete the awesome experience.
When you have more time, try pucca sushi recipes like the Cucumber Sushi and Avocado and Cream Cheese Sushi as well as other Oriental delicacies like the Steamed Wontons .
- Combine idli batter, oil, curd, fruit salt and salt in a deep bowl and mix well.
- Pour 1/3 cup of the prepared batter on a greased thali and tap well to spread evenly.
- Steam it in a steamer for 3 to 4 minutes or till done. Keep aside.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 to make one more dhokla thali.
- Cool slightly, loosen the edges and remove using a flat steel ladle. Keep aside.
- Place a cling film on a clean, dry and flat surface, brush it with little oil and sprinkle half the black sesame-coconut mixture evenly over it.
- Place one dhokla sheet over it and spread half the cheese and red garlic chutney mixture evenly over it using a butter knife.
- Place yellow capsicum strips and 5 green capsicum strips over lapping each other on one side.
- Roll it very tightly, pressing each time while rolling. Make sure you do not roll the cling film while rolling.
- Place the rolled dhokla sushi on a clean dry surface and cut it into 8 equal portions using a sharp knife.
- Repeat steps 6 to 10 to make one more sushi.
- Serve immediately with wasabi mayo.
Nutrient values per piece
|Vitamin A||34.7 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin C||5.2 mg|
|Folic Acid||1.4 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.