Avocado and Cucumber Sushi, Veg Avocado and Cucumber Sushi
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 6 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 14271 times
Making a sushi is no joke. It requires some special ingredients and a lot of patience too, but it is completely worth the effort. The good news is that, once you get the hang of how to arrange, roll and cut up the sushi, you will find it to be a very versatile and convenient dish and you can start making your own variants with your choice of veggies.
The way you cook the rice is very important – you need to stir it occasionally and ensure that it doesn’t stick or lump up while cooking. Thereafter, the rice is flavoured with a sesame and vinegar dressing, layered with veggies – in this case avocados and cucumber, rolled and cut up tactfully.
To make this sushi, make sure you use ripe avocados and take care while cutting them, to make neat strips without mashing. Once you get it right, you will forget all the effort that went into it, because this Avocado and Cucumber Sushi served with Oriental sauces and pickled ginger, is a totally immersive experience that will delight you to the core!
- Soak the rice in enough water for 15 minutes,. Drain well and keep aside.
- Boil 2¼ cups of water and little salt in a deep non-stick pan, add the rice, mix gently and cook on a medium flame for 15 to 17 minutes or till the rice is cooked and the water is evaporated completely, while stirring occasionally.
- Transfer the rice into a plate and cool completely, add the prepared dressing and mix gently.
- Divide the rice into 2 equal portions. Keep aside.
- Combine the avocado, lemon juice and little salt in a bowl, toss gently and keep aside.
- Take a seaweed sushi sheet and lightly roast it on an open flame using a tong on all the sides.
- Repeat step 1 to roast 1 more sheet. Keep aside.
- Cover the bamboo mat with cling wrap all over and seal it tightly.
- Place the bamboo mat on a clean, dry surface, place a portion of the prepared sticky rice over it and spread it evenly with wet hands leaving ½" gap from all the 4 sides and press it gently.
- Sprinkle a little water on a roasted seaweed sushi sheet to make it soft.
- Now place it over the spread sushi rice and press it gently.
- Place 4 avocado strips, 4 cucumber strips overlapping each other on one side of the bamboo mat and sprinkle a little toga rashi evenly over it.
- Roll it very tightly with the help of a bamboo mat, pressing each time while rolling.
- Gently remove the bamboo mat to get a sushi roll. Place it on a chopping board and cut the edges to make it look clean.
- Place the sushi roll on a plate and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Cut into 8 equal portions using a sharp wet knife.
- Repeat steps 4 to 11 to make 8 more pieces.
- Serve immediately with wasabi sauce, soy sauce and pickled ginger.
Nutrient values per piece
|Vitamin A||0.1 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.2 mg|
|Vitamin C||0 mg|
|Folic Acid||0.6 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.