Last Updated : Jan 19,2018
Viewed 517 times
Also known as
Makisu is a mat woven with bamboo and cotton string, which is used to roll the famous Japanese dish Sushi. It generally comes in a size of 25cm x 25cm, but other sizes are also available.
There are two varieties of bamboo mats – one with thick bamboo strips and another with thin strips. The mat should be air-dried after use to avoid moisture, which will lead to spoilage. Some chefs cover the mat with a plastic film and then roll the sushi to avoid the risk of spoilage.
How to Store
• Store in a dry place like the kitchen cabinet and use when required.
How to select
• Check if the mat has thin bamboo sticks woven with thread and is foldable. It will be labelled as ‘Sushi Mat’ on the packet. Check that before buying.
• It is available in stores where gourmet items are available, like Nature’s Basket. Can also purchase it online.
• It is used to roll sushi, a Japanese dish.
• Can be used to roll other food items like omelette and also for squeezing out excess liquid from foods.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.