Cucumber Sushi, Veg Cucumber Sushi
by Tarla Dalal
This recipe has been viewed 8836 times
Sometimes simplicity is a virtue in even exotic dishes! Here is a simple but elegant Cucumber Sushi, which tastes great with traditional Oriental sauces and pickled ginger. Sticky rice is cooked and coated with a vinegar dressing, layered with lemon-tinged cucumber strips, and rolled up into a sushi.
There are two things you need to take care of when making a sushi. The rice must be cooked properly, stirring occasionally to ensure that it doesn’t stick or lump up while cooking. The next aspect that needs a bit of practice is the actual arrangement, rolling up and cutting of the sushi, which is an art by itself. It might take a little time initially but you will find it completely worth the effort.
Serve with side dishes like Glass Noodle Salad or Green Papaya Salad and Stir-Fry Miso Soup .
- Combine the rice vinegar and sugar in a small non-stick pan, mix well and cook on a slow flame for 1 minute, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside to cool completely.
- Once cooled, add the sesame seeds and mix well. Keep aside.
- Soak the rice in enough water for 15 minutes,. Drain well and keep aside.
- Boil 2¼ cups of water and little salt in a deep non-stick pan, add the rice, mix gently and cook on a medium flame for 15 to 17 minutes or till the rice is cooked and the water is evaporated completely, while stirring occasionally.
- Transfer the rice into a plate and cool completely, add the prepared dressing and mix gently.
- Divide the rice into 2 equal portions. Keep aside.
- Combine the cucumber, lemon juice and little salt in a bowl, toss gently and keep aside.
- Take a seaweed sushi sheet and lightly roast it on an open flame using a tong on all the sides.
- Repeat step 1 to roast 1 more sheet. Keep aside.
- Cover the bamboo mat with cling wrap all over and seal it tightly.
- Place the bamboo mat on a clean, dry surface, place a portion of the prepared sticky rice over it and spread it evenly with wet hands leaving ½ “ gap from all the 4 sides and press it gently.
- Sprinkle a little water on a roasted seaweed sushi sheet to make it soft.
- Now place it over the spread sushi rice and press it gently.
- Place 8 cucumber strips overlapping each other on one side of the bamboo mat and sprinkle a little toga rashi evenly over it.
- Roll it very tightly with the help of a bamboo mat, pressing each time while rolling.
- Gently remove the bamboo mat to get a sushi roll. Place it on a chopping board and cut the edges to make it look clean.
- Place the sushi roll on a plate and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Cut into 8 equal portions using a sharp wet knife.
- Repeat steps 4 to 11 to make 8 more pieces.
- Serve immediately with wasabi sauce, soy sauce and pickled ginger.
Nutrient values per piece
|Vitamin A||0.1 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin C||0 mg|
|Folic Acid||0.6 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.