Avocado and Cream Cheese Sushi, Veg Avocado and Cream Cheese Sushi
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 9 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 5608 times
Sushi is an exotic dish of Japanese origin. It is made of a special type of rice, which is cooked and flavoured with a vinegar-based dressing, before being layered with a sushi sheet and other ingredients. Vegetarian versions include vegetables or tropical fruits. In this exciting sushi, the rice is dressed in a mixture of vinegar and sesame seeds, and layered with avocado and cheese.
It is important to cook the sushi rice properly, stirring occasionally to ensure that it does not stick while cooking. Make use of ripe avocados and cut them carefully, to get proper strips without mashing it up. Rolling up and cutting the sushi is an art, but you can learn it with a bit of effort. Enjoy the Avocado and Cream Cheese Sushi immediately with tongue-tingling sauces and pickled ginger.
- Combine the rice vinegar and sugar in a small non-stick pan, mix well and cook on a slow flame for 1 minute, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside to cool completely.
- Once cooled, add the sesame seeds and mxi well. Keep aside.
- Soak the rice in enough water for 15 minutes,. Drain well and keep aside.
- Boil 2¼ cups of water and little salt in a deep non-stick pan, add the rice, mix gently and cook on a medium flame for 15 to 17 minutes or till the rice is cooked and the water is evaporated completely, while stirring occasionally.
- Transfer the rice into a plate and cool completely, add the prepared dressing and mix gently.
- Divide the rice into 2 equal portions. Keep aside.
- Combine the avocado, lemon juice and little salt in a bowl, toss gently and keep aside.
- Take a seaweed sushi sheet and lightly roast it on an open flame using a tong on all the sides.
- Repeat step 1 to roast 1 more sheet. Keep aside.
- Cover the bamboo mat with cling wrap all over and seal it tightly.
- Place the bamboo mat on a clean, dry surface, place a portion of the prepared sticky rice over it and spread it evenly with wet hands leaving ½" gap from all the 4 sides and press it gently.
- Sprinkle a little water on a roasted seaweed sushi sheet to make it soft.
- Now place it over the spread sushi rice and press it gently.
- Place 5 avocado strips and 5 cream cheese strips overlapping each other on one side of the bamboo mat and sprinkle a little toga rashi evenly over it.
- Roll it very tightly with the help of a bamboo mat, pressing each time while rolling.
- Gently remove the bamboo mat to get a sushi roll. Place it on a chopping board and cut the edges to make it look clean.
- Place the sushi roll on a plate and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Cut into 8 equal portions using a sharp wet knife.
- Repeat steps 4 to 11 to make 8 more pieces.
- Serve immediately with wasabi sauce, soy sauce and pickled ginger.
Nutrient values per piece
|Vitamin A||1.2 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.2 mg|
|Vitamin B3||3.7 mg|
|Vitamin C||0.8 mg|
|Folic Acid||9.6 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.