Vermicelli Nut Idli
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 422 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 25078 times
Vermicelli nut idli is the perfect choice for those days when you feel like having idli, but have no batter, or when you wish to have a slightly spicy idli. Made of vermicelli and semolina, tempered graciously with broken cashews, this can be had as a starter or as a full meal.
- Heat 1½ tbsp of oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the semolina and roast on a medium flame for 3 minutes or till the semolina is light pink in colour, while stirring continuously.
- Remove from the flame and keep aside in a deep bowl.
- Heat the remaining 1½ tbsp of oil in the same pan, add the vermicelli and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Remove from the flame and add it to the semolina , also add the curds, salt and 1½ cups of water and mix well. Cover and keep aside for 30 minutes.
- To prepare the tempering, heat the oil in a small non-stick pan, add the cashewnuts, urad dal, mustard seeds, green chillies, curry leaves and asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the tempering to the batter and mix well.
- Just before steaming, add the fruit salt and mix gently.
- Pour a little batter into each of the greased idli moulds and steam in a steamer for 10 to 12 minutes or till the idlis are cooked.
- Cool slightly and demould.
- Repeat steps 8 and 9 to make 1 more batch.
- Serve hot with sambhar and coconut chutney.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.