How many calories does one plate of Ragda Patties have?
One plate of Ragda Patties gives 471 calories. Out of which carbohydrates comprise 243 calories, proteins account for 62 calories and remaining calories come from fat which is 166 calories. One plate of Ragda Patties provides about 24 percent of the total daily calorie requirement of a standard adult diet of 2,000 calories.
Click here to view. Ragda Patties recipe. Extremely popular in Western India, the Ragda Patties needs no introduction to the food-lover. For the rest of you, it’s a yummy dish of potato patties, stuffed with spiced safed vatana, and drowned in a tongue-tickling gravy of more safed vatana perked up with onion and spices.The ample use of spices works well with the bland but pleasant taste of potatoes and the nutty flavour of white peas, to give a well-balanced dish.Laced with sweet and spicy chutneys, and topped with crunchy sev and papdi, the Ragda Patties is a truly exciting medley of flavours and textures.A plate of piping hot ragda patties shared with friends huddled under the vendor’s umbrella on a rainy day, is an experience to savour. It is quite filling and can be served as a meal by itself.
Is Ragda Patties healthy?
No, this is not healthy. Let's see why.
Let's understand the Ingredients.
1. Safeed Vatana (Raw dried white peas) : Safed vatana not only contributes 9.9 gm of protein (from ¼ cup) but when paired with any grain (like jowar flour, bajra flour, buckwheat four or whole wheat flour) also forms a source of complete protein. Safeed Vatana is rich in fibre. A fit adult needs it to keep gut healthy, diabetics need it to control sugar levels while others may need to control their cholesterol levels or weight fibre helps. If you want to increase your haemoglobin levels and / or Red Blood Cell count along with preventing anemia, add safed vatana to your list of healthy foods. See the complete benefits of safed vatana.
2. Onions (pyaz, kanda) : Raw onions are a very valuable source of vitamin C – the immune building vitamin. Along with other phytonutrients from onions, it helps to build WBC (white blood cells) which serves as a line of defence against illness. Yes, it’s a source of many antioxidants, the most important one amongst them being Quercetin. The quercetin in Onions promotes production of HDL (good cholesterol) and lowers total cholesterol in the body. The sulphur in onions act as a blood thinner and prevents blood clotting too. This in turn would lower blood pressure and good for heart, diabetics. Read the benefits of onions.
3. Coriander (kothmir, dhania) : The antioxidants vitamin A, vitamin C and the quercetin present in coriander works towards strengthening our immune system. Coriander is a fairly good source of iron and folate – the 2 nutrient which help in the production and maintenance of red blood cells in our blood. Good for reducing cholesterol and good for diabetics. Read 9 benefits of coriander to understand details.
What's the problem?
1. Vegetable Oils : To some vegetable oil is only soyabean oil, while some promote it as a mix of oils like soyabean, canola, sunflower, corn and other omega-6 rich oils. These are often cheaper options than many oils, but they are highly processed oils. They are undoubtedly not to be reached out for, whether you are looking for salad dressings, sautéing or cooking. The 5 best oils used in cooking are olive oil (low temperature short time cooking), avocado oil, canola oil, coconut oil and peanut oil. You must read the super article to find the facts of which oil is the healthiest avoid vegetable oil.
2. Potatoes (Aloo) : Potatoes being high in simple carbohydrates will lead to weight gain and are not good for people with diabetes, heart problem and obesity. Potatoes are recommended for malnourished children and people with low weight. See full details on why potatoes are bad for you.
3. Cornflour ( Cornstarch) : Pros. Cornflour is easy to digest because of the presence of insoluble fiber, thus benefits the gut. It’s gluten-free and can be consumed by those who cannot afford to stock wheat. Cons. Cornflour is full of calories and carbs like refined sugar, thus a barrier to weight reduction. Those on weight loss diet must definitely not reach out for it. The high crabs makes it a No-No for a diabetic meal and restricted for heart patients. Read for more details is cornflour healthy?
4. Deep fried foods : The sev is deep fried. Any food that is deep fried is not suitable for healthy living. Your fat levels increase as deep frying increases oil absorption. Also when you use the same oil again for deep frying then smoking point decreases which leads to the development of blue smoke which is not good for health. Processed food, Deep Fried Foods also increases inflammation in the body and shuts down the fat burning process. Most diseases from heart, to cardio vascular, diabetes, parkinsons, alzheimer, cancer and obesity result when the cells get inflamed and don't then function correctly. Inflammation in the arteries can cause heart attacks. So your diet should contain foods that fight inflammation in the body. That's how your body gets healthier by eating the right stuff. So you have given the cells in your body the right food to stay healthy and that is so important in staying disease free for the rest of your life.
Can diabetics, heart patients and over weight individuals have Ragda Patties?
No, this recipe is not good for diabetics, heart and weight loss. The issue is with potatoes, sev, sweet chutney and cornflour used in the recipe. The sev is deep fried. Any food that is deep fried is not suitable for healthy living. Your fat levels increase as deep frying increases oil absorption. Potatoes being high in simple carbohydrates will lead to weight gain and are not good for people with diabetes, heart problem and obesity.
Here are some Healthy Indian snack options.
You can have Baked Samosa with mixed sprouts, Matarsutir Kachori, Oats Moong Dal Tikki, Baked methi muthia recipe, Zunka recipe, moong dal dhokla recipe, bajra carrot onion uttapam recipe , baked palak jowar murukku, mini jowar pancakes, oats upma, baked sev or buckwheat pancake as one healthy recipe option.
Can healthy individuals have Ragda Patties?
Yes, but in small quantity. Use baked sev instead of deep fried sev.
Ragda Patties is high in
1. Protein : Protein is required for the managing the wear and tear of all cells of the body.
2. Folic Acid : Folic acid is an essential vitamin required throughout pregnancy.
3. Vitamin C : Vitamin C is a great defence against coughs and colds.
4. Magnesium : Magnesium is required for formation of bones and teeth. helps in the metabolism of calcium and potassium.
5. Vitamin B1 : Vitamin B1 protects nerves, helps in carbohydatre metabolism, prevents heart diseases and helps produce red blood cells.
6. Phosphorous : Phosphorous works closely with calcium to build bones.
7. Fiber : Dietary fiber reduce the risk of heart disease, prevent the spike in blood sugar levels and hence super for diabetics. Comsume more fruits, vegetables, moong, oats, matki, whole grains.
8. Iron : Iron is essential in the chemical reactions that produce energy from foods. Eat more greens and garden cress seeds to prevent you from being anaemic. Here are the top 7 sources of iron rich foods.
9. Vitamin B3 : Vitamin B3 helps in brain funtioning and mental health. Also healthy skin formation.
Note : a recipe is deemed high in a Vitamin or mineral if it meets 20% and above the recommended daily allowance based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
How to burn 471 calories that come from one plate of Ragda Patties?
Walking (6 kmph) = 2 hrs 21 mins
Running (11 kmph) = 47 mins
Cycling (30 kmph) = 1 hr 3 mins
Swimming (2 kmph) = 1 hr 21 mins
Note: These values are approximate and calorie burning differs in each individual.