Benefits of Colocasia Leaves, Arbi ke Patte, Taro Leaves
Colocasia leaves are green coloured heart shaped leaves of the plant which is rich in many nutrients. When buying these leaves look for light and bright green leaves which are fresh, not limp. While colocassia root is more commonly eaten by many, its leaves also find place in our kitchen. The most famous is the Patra. Rolling these patras is a skill which needs to be developed, however it is easy once you start doing it.
Colocasia leaves are commonly known as Elephants Ears due to its shape. Also known as Taro leaves in English, in other languages it has own its unique names. It is called…
• Arvi ka Saag in Hindi
• Alu che paan in Marathi
• Alu na paan in Gujarati
• Kochu in Bengali
• Sarue in Odiya
• Seppam Ilaigal in Tamil
• Shamangadde in Kannada
• Chembu Ilagial in Malayalam
• Chama Akulu in Telugu
6 Health Benefits of Colocasia leaves (Arbi ke Patte / Taro Leaves)
1. Promotes Eye Health : Colocasia leaves are a very good source of vitamin A – an important vitamin which helps in vision. It also prevents macular degeneration associated with age and can also help in delaying the onset of cataract. You would be surprised to know that 1 cup of chopped Colocasia leaves fulfils your entire days requirement of vitamin A. Try having Colocasia leaves in the form of famous Maharastrian Style Paatal Bhaji.
2. Boosts Immune System : This impressive benefits of taro leaves comes from vitamin C – a nutrient which is important to build your WBC (white blood cells) and thus immunity. These immune cells form the line of defense against bacteria and virus. You can try Colocassia Leaf Raita to add a dose of vitamin C to your diet.
3. Builds Healthy Heart : The fiber (1.3 g / cup) in taro leaves helps to reduce the cholesterol levels in the body, while the potassium will help to maintain normal blood pressure. Moreover, these taro leaves are also a good source of folate (56.7 mcg / cup) which is a key factor in protecting you from heart diseases.
4. Prevents Cancer : The 2 key nutrients vitamin A and C also ensure to keep you away from chronic disease like cancer. They act as powerful antioxidants to play this role.
5. Maintains Healthy Digestive System : The fiber in Colocasia leaves help to add bulk to stools and helps in their easy movement though the digestive tract. All you need to remember is to not make any fried delicacy using colocassia leaves as excess fat hinders in its effect on body. Try Lavingya Paatras a snack filled with fiber.
6. Aids in Weight Loss : The low calorie count of Colocasia leaves makes it a wise choice for weight watchers and diabetics. A cup of colocassia leaves adds only 25 calories to your meals. With correct addition of spices you can make up a delicacy in no time. Try the high protein, high fiber rich Colocassia Leaf Usli.
Colocasia leaves are extremely wholesome and contains nutrients in varied amounts. Benefit from its nutrients with these falvourful dishes. Simply remember that raw colocassia may be little irritating to the throat and can cause scratches in the mouth, so always prefer consuming them after cooking – be it steaming or cooking.
These low calorie leaves not only help in keeping obesity at bay, but has a hand in cleansing digestive system and building a healthy immune system. Let’s look into its nutrition fact in detail.
Nutritive Information for Colocasia Leaves / Arbi ke Patte / Taro Leaves :
1 cup of chopped colocassia leaves is about 45 grams
RDA stands for Recommended Daily Allowance.
Energy – 25 calories
Protein – 1.8 g
Carbohydrate – 3 g
Fat – 0.9 g
Fiber – 1.3 g
4625.1 mcg of Vitamin A = 96.4% of RDA (about 4800 mcg)
5.4 mg of Vitamin C = 13.5% of RDA (about 40 mg)
56.7 mcg of Folate (vitamin B9) = 28.4% of RDA (about 200 mcg)
0.09 mg of Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) = 6.2% of RDA ( (about 1.2 to 1.6 mg for men)
0.18 mg of Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) = 6.2% of RDA (about 1.4 to 1.9 mg for men)
See full nutritional details of colocassia leaves in Colocassia Leaves glossary click here.
Start your healthy journey today!!