Coriander Pachadi, South Indian Chutney
by Tarla Dalal
- हिन्दी में पढ़ें (Coriander Pachadi, South Indian Chutney in Hindi)
Added to 67 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 128520 times
The Coriander Pachidi is a truly chatpata accompaniment with a salsa-like mouth-feel. The peppy taste of coriander generally pleases every one.
Here, Coriander Pachidi shines even better with the support of pungent garlic and tangy tamarind. A good dose of green chillies brings the chutney a level of spice that makes you drool. You can, however, reduce the number of chillies if you want it less spicy.
This Coriander Pachidi has a nice texture, with something to kind of bite into, like the roasted dals, garlic etc. It is a wonderful accompaniment for all kinds of tiffin, be it idlis, dosa or upma.
It can also be served with rice preparations that have a soft flavour like Dal Khichdi , Coconut Rice or Lemon Rice. The spicy chutney complements mild flavours very well indeed.
- To make coriander pachidi, combine the green chillies, tamarind, salt and 2 tbsp of water together and blend in a mixer to a smooth paste.
- Add the coriander and 1½ tbsp of water and blend again to a smooth paste. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick kadhai and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the chana dal, urad dal, red chillies, curry leaves and garlic and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes or till the dals turns light pink in colour.
- Add the prepared coriander paste and sauté on a slow flame for 2 minutes or till the oil separates.
- Add the jaggery and sauté for another 2 minutes. Serve the coriander pachidi immediately with idlis or dosas.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per tbsp
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.