Lemon Rice ( South Indian Recipes )
by Tarla Dalal
- हिन्दी में पढ़ें (Lemon Rice ( South Indian Recipes ) in Hindi)
- ગુજરાતી માં વાંચો (Lemon Rice ( South Indian Recipes ) in Gujarati)
Added to 164 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 315357 times
Rice is the much-loved staple food of South Indians. The day begins and ends with steaming hot rice, which is enjoyed in different ways.
In a traditional meal, the rice is relished with soupy rasam or spicy sambhar. Or, the rice is mixed with tempering and flavouring ingredients to make delectable preparations like Tamarind Rice Peanut Rice or Lemon Rice.
Such one-dish rice meals are called as variety rice, mixed rice or rice bhaat in South India. They make a convenient meal on a busy day, and are just perfect to carry in the lunch dabba as they taste awesome even after a couple of hours.
Here is an authentic recipe for Lemon Rice, a traditional rice dish with a refreshing citrusy flavour. It is also made as part of the many-course traditional South Indian meal. Check out our article on how to serve a traditional South Indian meal.
Enjoy how to make Lemon Rice recipe with detailed step by step photos and video.
- To make the lemon rice, heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the urad dal, chana dal, and curry leaves and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the ginger, red chillies and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the turmeric powder and rice, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Add the lemon juice and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot.
Lemon Rice Video by Tarla Dalal
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.