Ridge Gourd Chutney
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 42 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 67034 times
South Indians often combine roasted dals with sautéed veggies to make delicious chutneys, which go very well with idlis, dosas, puris and just about any snack. To enjoy these chutneys the traditional way, mix them with steaming hot rice topped with a dash of til oil or ghee, and relish with roasted urad papads. Here is how to make Ridge Gourd Chutney in this fashion. You will love this method of including ridge gourd in your diet, and surely want to explore similar chutneys with other veggies too.
- To make ridge gourd chutney, heat 2 tsp of coconut oil in a non-stick kadhai, add the ridge gourd and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes. Remove and keep aside.
- In a mixer, add the ridge gourd, coriander, tamarind, coconut, green chillies, salt and ¼ cup of water and blend to a smooth paste
- For the tempering, heat the remaining 1 tsp of coocnut oil in the same kadhai and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the chana dal, urad dal, asafoetida and red chillies and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Pour the tempering over the ridge gourd chutney and mix well.
- Store the ridge gourd chutney in an air-tight container and use as required.
Ridge Gourd Chutney recipe with step by step photos
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per tbsp
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.