Tomato Chutney, South Indian Tomato Onion Chutney Recipe
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 125 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 289516 times
Like most South Indian recipes, this is a hot and spicy tomato and onion chutney. Perk up your meal with this chutney. Purée this to make a smooth chutney and enjoy the contrasting flavours.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan, add the chana dal, urad dal and curry leaves and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute or till the dals turn light brown in colour.
- Add the green chillies and onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes and 2 tbsp of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the turmeric powder and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Allow it to cool completely and blend in a mixer till smooth. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a small pan and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the red chillies and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Remove from the flame and pour on the chutney and mix well.
- Serve immediately or store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator with idlis/ dosas/ uttapas.
Nutrient values per cup
|Vitamin A||1381.1 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.5 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.2 mg|
|Vitamin B3||1.9 mg|
|Vitamin C||91.6 mg|
|Folic Acid||122.9 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.