Upma, Quick Upma Recipe, Breakfast Upma
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 164 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 218411 times
Upma is one of the most common Breakfast items, all over India. It is a quick preparation using common ingredients, and so it can be made without much ado.
Plus, you can also make it healthier by adding a lot of boiled veggies like carrots, beans, potatoes, tomatoes and peas along with the semolina when cooking. Serve hot in an inverted cup shape, as suggested.
- Heat the semolina in a kadhai and dry roast on a medium flame for 4 to 5 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a kadhai and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the urad dal, curry leaves and green chillies and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the roasted semolina, 3 cups of hot water and salt and mix well and cover with a lid and cook on a slow flame for 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the lemon juice and sugar, mix well and cook on a medium flame for another 1 minute, while stirring continuously.
- Fill the upma in a glass bowl and demould on a plate.
- Serve immediately garnished with coriander.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.