by Tarla Dalal
Added to 98 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 84332 times
A fibre is rich version of upma that is good for a diabetic breakfast. This recipe cooks varagu in yoghurt gravy that is tempered with urad dal and green chillies and other subtle spices. Varagu is not a very commonly used cereal. It resembles larger grains of rava (semolina), but is healthier than rava since it is unrefined and also has a low glycemic index. Look for it at your neighbourhood grocery store or at a health food store. In case you cannot find it, use bulgur wheat instead.
- Dry roast the varagu till it is golden brown. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan and add the urad dal, mustard seeds, green chillies and curry leaves.
- When the mustard seeds crackle, add the asafoetida and onions and sauté till the onions are golden brown in colour.
- Add the vegetables along with ½ cup of water and cook till they are tender.
- Add the varagu, salt and 1½ cups of water. Mix well, cover and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes till the varagu is cooked, adding more water if required.
- Add the curds and mix well.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.