Fried Coconut Chutney ( South Indian Recipe)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 68 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 54143 times
Breakfast, lunch or dinner, one chutney or the other is usually required to be served – either to accompany idlis, dosas and other tiffin varieties, or as a side dish for rice preparations. With coconut being an easily-available ingredient in the south, coconut-based chutneys are quite common.
- Combine the chana dal, urad dal, red chillies and tamarind in a kadhai and dry roast on a medium flame till they turn light pink in colour or till the flavour releases, while stirring continuously. Remove and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in the same kadhai, add the coconut and sauté on a medium flame till it turns golden brown in colour, while stirring continuously. Keep aside.
- When cool, combine all the ingredients together and blend in a mixer to a coarse powder.
- Add the salt and mix well.
- Store in an air-tight container and use as required.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.