Karuveppilai Podi, South Indian Curry Leaves Powder
by Tarla Dalal
- हिन्दी में पढ़ें (Karuveppilai Podi, South Indian Curry Leaves Powder in Hindi)
Added to 44 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 35081 times
This powder of roasted curry leaves, dals and spices, transforms a simple breakfast of idli or dosa into a tongue-tickler!
Serve it mixed with til oil, or sprinkle it over idli, dosa or even upma . Do not forget to add the tamarind, as that mild tang is necessary to enhance the flavour of the Karivepilai Podi. If you like your spice powder very hot, you can skip the jaggery.
- Heat a small kadhai, add the curry leaves and sauté on a slow flame for 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring continuously. Remove and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in the same pan, add the coriander seeds, chana dal, urad dal, peppercorns, cumin seeds, mustard seeds, sesame seeds, red chillies and coconut, mix well and sauté on a slow flame for 5 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- When cool, add the curry leaves, tamarind, jaggery and salt and blend in a mixer to a fine powder.
- Store in an air-tight container and use as required.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per tbsp
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.