Idli ( How To Make Idli )
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 62 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 369087 times
South indian cuisine is almost synonymous with idli! idli is not only easy to make but also extremely healthy and easy to digest. In fact, when stranded on a highway with nothing to eat, people wouldn’t hesitate to walk into a roadside hotel and buy a few idlis, as it is steamed, and therefore quite safe to eat anywhere!
- Soak the urad dal and fenugreek seeds together in enough water for 3 hours and drain.
- Soak the rice in enough water for 3 hours and drain.
- Blend the urad dal and fenugreek seeds together in a mixer till smooth and frothy (add water little by little as required ) remove and keep aside.
- Blend the rice in a mixer till smooth. Remove and keep aside.
- Combine the urad dal paste and rice paste together in a bowl and cover and keep aside to ferment overnight.
- Once the batter is fermented add salt to the batter and mix well.
- Put spoonfuls of the batter into greased idli moulds and steam for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Repeat with the remaining batter to make more idlis. Serve hot with fried coconut chutney and sambhar.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.