Indian Foods to Cook in October
Indian Foods to cook in October. October is upon us; and with it a bounty of fresh veggies and fruits. Refreshed by the rains, Mother Earth gives us her best – sweet beets, crunchy Brussel sprouts, vibrant broccoli, crisp cabbage and juicy apples!
Sometimes, the sight of these veggies and fruits flooding the market is so tempting that we end up loading our baskets with these even if we didn’t intend to.
While each of us is aware of a few recipes using these, we always keep yearning for more recipes and more tasty ways to enjoy the season’s best. So, feast your eyes on these interesting recipes, of exciting dishes using these ingredients. These are not the usual recipes! We have picked something special for each veggie and fruit. Each of these is a must-try.
Indian vegetables in October to have
1. Take beetroot for example. You can make lovely juices and stir-fries or try a delicious Beetroot Rice recipe, which you can pack in your lunch box tomorrow.
Beetroot Rice ( Beetroot Pulao)
The Beetroot Hummas is equally exotic. When beetroot is in season, you should go for this instead of tomato-based or cheesy dips. With the nutty taste of chickpea and the pleasant sweetness of beetroot, this dip is a real delight. Its beautiful pink hue makes it all the more attractive.
Beetroot Hummus, Indian Style Healthy Beetroot Hummus
2. Cute little Brussel sprouts are equally eye-catching. A cabbage-like appearance in a tiny form factor makes this veggie very interesting, especially for children who insist on buying some every time they set eyes on it. It looks like a ‘toy cabbage’ to them! The Brussel-Sprouts and Spring Onion Stir fry is an amazing way to cook this exotic veggie. It has a crunchy mouth-feel and yummy taste, which the whole family will enjoy.
Brussels Sprouts and Spring Onion Stir-fry
3. Then there’s Broccoli. There’s nothing you can’t do with this! You can make so many varieties of dishes, ranging from soups and starters to main course with it! The Broccoli Pizza Pie is one such flavor-packed, multi-textured delight that will sweep you off your feet.
Broccoli Pizza Pie
So is the Broccoli Bell Pepper and Cheese Quesadillas, a sumptuous snack that you will love to sink your feet into.
Broccoli, Bell Pepper and Cheese Quesadillas
4. Fresh, leafy green cabbage is another tempting offer of this month! It lends itself to making everything from clear soups to salads, and is also used as a substitute for onions by many. The crunchy, lemon-tinged Cabbage Kachumber and the melt-in-the-mouth Cabbage Dhokla are two delectable desi treats made with cabbage. The Cabbage Kachumber is capable of perking up even a simple everyday meal while the innovative Cabbage Dhokla will make your tea-time special.
5. Brinjals are purple, egg shaped, vegetables that hang from vines and hence the name 'Eggplants'. They are used extensively in almost all parts of the world because of the soft, creamy flesh. Even though the most common variety is the purple one, they can be of different colors too and vary in sizes.
Baingan Bharta, Veg Punjabi Baingan Bharta Recipe
Roasted brinjals give a very earthy, yummy taste to a dish and when cooked with tangy tomatoes and onions, make a delectable subzi of Baingan Bharta. A similar subzi, which gets its origin from the Mughals, called Baingan Musasalam, is a mouth-watering concoction of flavors.
Baingan Musasalam, Mughlai Baingan Masala
Indian fruits in October to have
1. Apple, in season in October, is a very versatile fruit, which not only suits fruity indulgences like juices and puddings but also combines well with veggies to make salads like the Lettuce and Apple Salad.
Lettuce and Apple Salad
The apple is an ideal ingredient to make desserts, and the Apple Pie is an undisputable proof of this fact. In this collection, we offer you a different option – the Eggless Apple Cake, a soft and tasty delicacy that will appeal to young and old alike. Here, slices of apple are arranged like a beautiful rose, atop a base of plain flour dough, flavored gently with vanilla and cardamom. It looks so awesome nobody can refuse a bite! Serve it warm laced with honey or with a scoop of ice-cream to make it even more special.
Eggless Apple Pie, Indian Style Apple Pie
2. Guava (also called as Peru) They are freely available in this month and you can try these below recipes :
Healthy Guava Snack
Guava Punch | A mouth-watering blend of guava puree, ginger and lemon juice, garnished with sprigs of mint that add an irresistible aroma and flavour to the Guava Punch. Cooking the guava helps to soften it before pureeing, while straining this mixture helps remove the guava seeds that might spoil the rich and creamy mouth feel of this drink. Pungent ginger and tangy lemon help to both enhance and balance the natural sweetness of guava very pleasantly.
Guava Chutney : This Guava Chutney is yet another yummy way to consume the wonderful yet humble guava. A dash of spiciness combined with the fruit’s natural sweetness makes this chutney a finger-licking treat. Mint gives the chutney an awesome aroma and refreshing flavour while ginger and green chillies contribute to the spiciness.
Guava Chutney, Amrood Chutney, Spicy Peru Chutney
Watermelon and Guava Juice | The thoughtful combination of juicy watermelon and pulpy guava laced with lemon juice results in a stunning juice that has a unique mouth-feel. Remove the seeds from the watermelon first, as the juice is not to be strained after blending. If you strain, you will lose the grainy texture. Savour every sip slowly to relish the well-balanced flavour and satiating texture of this Watermelon and Guava Juice.
Watermelon and Guava Juice
3. Sitafal, Custard apple
1. Sitaphal basundi is a rich and delicious mishtan of thickened milk, variation to plain Gujarati basundi very similar to the North Indian rabdi. custard apple basundi is basically just boiling the milk in a thick bottomed pan till the milk is reduced. Then add sugar and cardamom powder, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 10 to 15 minutes, cool and then add the custard pulp, almond and pistachio.
Sitaphal Basundi, Custard Apple Basundi
2. To make sitaphal milkshake recipe, sitaphal is blended with vanilla ice-cream and chilled milk, it becomes nothing short of nectar! Creamy to the core, this custard apple milkshake is a truly energising treat that your taste buds will thank you for.
List of Top Fruits and Vegetables in season for October in India
Indeed, October is the time for culinary experiments. There is so much to try and taste using the best of the season’s crops. So, next time you go to the market, look out for the splurge of seasonal delights and relish them at their best.
Other related articles you would like :
Foods to cook in August Recipes
Foods to cook in September Recipes
Foods to cook in November Recipes
Foods to cook in December Recipes
Indian Foods to cook in January Recipes