Helpful notes for Beetroot Rice (Beetroot Pulao)
1. For preparing the beetroot rice, the most ideal type of rice would be leftover rice or rice which is cooked almost 3-4 hours prior so, they will have very less moisture. If you make use of hot rice, they will be soft and mushy resulting into a lumpy beetroot pulao, so make sure the rice grains are cooled completely before adding.
2. You can cook the rice in a pan or the cook the rice in pressure cooker. Also, the grain type i.e. short grain or long-grained depends on your preference. Ideally, pulao recipes are made using long grained basmati rice which is aged and aromatic to get the perfect texture.
3. We will be using grated beetroot in the beetroot rice recipe, but to have a unique bite you can even add around ¼ cup of chopped beetroot.
4. The beetroot rice recipe has sweet and savory notes. This is an ideal lunch-box recipe for kids as the rice offers a combination of flavours with sweetness from beetroot and hotness from dry spices. Fortify the beetroot pulao recipe with an addition of chopped vegetables like French beans, cauliflower, green peas, carrots, corn, etc.
5. We have made this quick and easy rice recipe especially for kid’s lunchbox so, we have used minimal spices but, you can increase the quantity as per your liking.
6. Add finely chopped green chilies, garlic or ginger-green chili- garlic paste to make it more delicious.