How many calories does one Quick Rava Thalipeeth have?
One Quick Rava Thalipeeth gives 236 calories. Out of which carbohydrates comprise 99 calories, proteins account for 16 calories and remaining calories come from fat which is 121 calories. One Quick Rava Thalipeeth provides about 12 percent of the total daily calorie requirement of a standard adult diet of 2,000 calories.
See recipe Quick Rava Thalipeeth quick rava thalipeeth recipe | sooji thalipeeth | Maharashtrian rava thalipeeth | semolina thalipeeth Indian breakfast recipe | with 18 amazing images.
quick rava thalipeeth recipe | sooji thalipeeth | Maharashtrian rava thalipeeth | semolina thalipeeth Indian breakfast recipe is made with ingredients readily available at home. Learn how to make Maharashtrian rava thalipeeth.
To make quick rava thalipeeth, combine all the ingredients in a bowl, add approx. ¼ cup of water so the mixture binds well. Divide the mixture into 5 equal portions. Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) and grease it with ½ tsp of oil. Take a portion of the mixture and flatten it using your palms and place it on the greased non-stick tava (griddle). Wet your hands with little water, flatten the mixture and spread it using your fingers to make a 125 mm. (5") diameter circle. Again wet your fingers and dab it very well. Cook it on a slow flame using ½ tsp of oil, till golden brown spots appear on both the sides. Repeat steps 3 to 7 to make 4 more thalipeeth. Serve immediately with green chutney or tomato ketchup.
Ready in a jiffy, the sooji thalipeeth is a common breakfast recipe in the Saraswat Brahman community.
It is kind of similar to Koki of Sindhi and Bhakri of Goan cuisine. This thalipeeth is like a thick pancake made with a quick-fix dough of roasted rava, perked up with coconut, onions et al.
Once cooked, the Maharashtrian rava thalipeeth tastes quite exquisite with an awesome texture that is crisp outside and soft inside. While it is quite an easy dish, what differentiates an excellent thalipeeth from a regular thalipeeth is the way in which it has been shaped.
Enjoy quick rava thalipeeth with Red Chilli Thecha, Green Chilli Thecha and a dollop of Safed Makhan You can also have it with Green Chutney or tomato ketchup.
Tips for quick rava thalipeeth. 1. To roast semolina, put it in a broad non-stick pan and dry roast it on a slow flame for 3 to 4 minutes or till it changes colour slightly. 2. You need to flatten semolina thalipeeth Indian breakfast recipe on the tava with wet hands. It is no rocket science, but requires a little bit of practice to master, so do not worry if your first few thalipeeth end up in odd shapes or of varying thickness. You will soon master it, and then it is nothing but applause waiting for you at the dining table!
Do try other Thalipeeth variants like Jowar Bajra Besan Thalipeeth Upvaas Thalipeeth , Methi Thalipeeth, Sabudana Thalipeeth, and Quick Maharashtrian Thalipeeth.
Is Quick Rava Thalipeeth healthy?
No, this is not healthy. Let's see why.
Let's understand the Ingredients.
1. Onions (pyaz, kanda) : Raw onions are a very valuable source of vitamin C – the immune building vitamin. Along with other phytonutrients from onions, it helps to build WBC (white blood cells) which serves as a line of defence against illness. Yes, it’s a source of many antioxidants, the most important one amongst them being Quercetin. The quercetin in Onions promotes production of HDL (good cholesterol) and lowers total cholesterol in the body. The sulphur in onions act as a blood thinner and prevents blood clotting too. This in turn would lower blood pressure and good for heart, diabetics. Read the benefits of onions.
2. Coconut : The fresh coconut has saturated fats but most of it is MCT (Medium Chain Triglycerides) which promote weight loss. The high fibre content 13.6 gm (45.3% of RDA) along with high lauric acid content of coconut improves cholesterol levels in the body. Improving the action of insulin secretion and lowering the raised blood sugar levels is yet another benefit of coconut for Diabetics. See here for 10 amazing benefits of coconut.
3. Green Chillies : Antioxidant vitamin C in green chillies protects the body from effects of harmful free radicals and prevents stress. It is probably the high fiber which helps in controlling blood sugar levels. This it is a welcome addition to a diabetic diet. Suffering from anaemia? Add green chillies to your list of iron rich foods too. For complete details see benefits of green chilli.
4. Turmeric Powder (Haldi) : Turmeric helps in digestion of food thus helping to overcome indigestion. Haldi may help in reducing the growth of fat cells in the body. Turmeric, being rich in iron, is highly valuable in the treatment of anaemia and both the root as well as the powder should be a regular part of an anaemic diet. One of the health benefits of turmeric is it’s anti-inflammatory property due to the active compound, Curcumin, which helps to relieve inflammation of the joints and thus is a ladder to relieve pain related to arthritis. The curcumin in haldi also helps to ward of the bacteria’s causing cold, cough and throat irritation. Turmeric benefits in diabetes management by lowering blood glucose levels. Its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects are useful in the treatment of diabetes patients. It is known to be a good brain food and keep diseases like Alzheimer’s at bay. See here for detailed turmeric benefits.
5. Coriander (kothmir, dhania) : Coriander is a fresh herb often used as a flavour enhancer in Indian cooking. It is mainly used as a garnish. This is the best way to use it - no cooking. This preserves its vitamin C content which helps to build our immunity and bring that sparkle to the skin. The antioxidants vitamin A, vitamin C and the quercetin present in coriander works towards strengthening our immune system. Coriander is a fairly good source of iron and folate – the 2 nutrient which help in the production and maintenance of red blood cells in our blood. Good for reducing cholesterol and good for diabetics. Read 9 benefits of coriander to understand details.
What's the problem?
1. Rava (semolina, sooji) : What's good? Semolina is a fairly good source of Magnesium and phosphorus which is necessary to keep our nervous system healthy and working. But once again, it’s minus the fibre which is also one of the important nutrient to maintain healthy heart. So don’t opt for just the plain rava upma… instead toss in some sprouts or veggies and limit the amount of salt used and then add it occasionally to your meals. What's the issue? Fibre is one key nutrient for weight loss and semolina is devoid of it. Semolina is not suitable for diabetics. For details read is sooji healthy?
2. Sugar : Sugar used in the recipe is also called white poison. It is a simple carbohydrate with zero nutritional value. On intake, sugar will cause inflammation of the body which will last for many hours. It will spike your blood sugar level and shut down the fat burning process. This also causes high blood sugar levels in your body. The development of prediabetes comes from uncontrolled eating sugar and refined food products for many years and the classic symptom is if you have excess belly fat. This leads to diabetes and further onwards to heart attack, high blood pressure, strokes, impotence and kidney damage.
3. Vegetable Oils : To some vegetable oil is only soyabean oil, while some promote it as a mix of oils like soyabean, canola, sunflower, corn and other omega-6 rich oils. These are often cheaper options than many oils, but they are highly processed oils. They are undoubtedly not to be reached out for, whether you are looking for salad dressings, sautéing or cooking. The 5 best oils used in cooking are olive oil (low temperature short time cooking), avocado oil, canola oil, coconut oil and peanut oil. You must read the super article to find the facts of which oil is the healthiest avoid vegetable oil.
Note : 1 cup = 200 ml (standard cup available in the market). The weight in grams varies for each ingredient.
Can diabetics, heart patients and overweight individuals have Quick Rava Thalipeeth?
No, this recipe is not good for diabetics, heart and weight loss. Fibre is one key nutrient for weight loss and semolina is devoid of it. Semolina is not suitable for diabetics.
Can healthy individuals have Quick Rava Thalipeeth?
Here are some Healthy Indian snack options.
You can have Nutritious Thalipeeth, Baked Samosa with mixed sprouts, Matarsutir Kachori, Oats Moong Dal Tikki, Baked methi muthia recipe, Zunka recipe, moong dal dhokla recipe, bajra carrot onion uttapam recipe , baked palak jowar murukku, mini jowar pancakes, oats upma, baked sev , baked whole wheat puris, paneer pudina tikki or buckwheat pancake as one healthy recipe option.
What to eat with your Quick Rava Thalipeeth with?
Have your dosa with nutritious green chutney recipe which has ZERO sugar used in it made with mint leaves, onions and coriander or green chutney recipe. Coconut based options are healthy coconut chutney made from coconut and coriander and coconut coriander green chutney for idlis dosa uttapam vada. Don't add potatoes to your dosa as it will increase the carbohydrate content.
Coconut Coriander Green Chutney for Dosa
8 Pointers to get healthy on a Indian diet
1. Eat healthy and say yes to good home cooked food. Prefer whole grains like oatmeal, quinoa, buckwheat, barley and healthy flours like bajra flour, jowar flour, quinoa flour, wheat flour etc. rather than refined ones like maida. Have healthy Indian fats like ghee, coconut, coconut oil in your diet.
2. Opt out of junk food, packaged food, deep fried foods. Prefer steamed snacks and other non-fried snacks. Check out some Healthy Indian Snacks. Remember to eat small frequent meals through the day as that will keep you always full and prevent your blood sugar from dropping. By starving your body through some diet, will not help you one bit. In fact, dieting will make you binge on 2 to 3 meals which is not good.
Skip having Indian junk foods like pav bhaji, bata vada, pakoras, gulab jamun as they cause your body to have insulance resistance. The resultant is your body will store more carbohydrates as fats, causing storage of fat in the stomach causing a paunch and slowing down of our fat burning process. So its a bad cyle which causes you more more hunger and fatigue every time you eat junk food.
3. Have 4 to 5 servings of vegetables and 2 to 3 servings of fruit is a must. Follow the logic of a vegetable in each main meal of the day and a fruit in-between meals. Check out a few Healthy Indian Soups and Healthy Indian Salads recipes using this food group.
4. Cut down on sugar and salt in your diet and pick honey ( very small amounts) or dates to sweeten your food. Slowly cut the sugar habit as this is not going to happen over night. Sugar is also called white poison. It is a simple carbohydrate with zero nutritional value. On intake, sugar will cause inflammation of the body which will last for many hours. It will spike your blood sugar level and shut down the fat burning process. This also causes high blood sugar levels in your body. The development of prediabetes comes from uncontrolled eating sugar and refined food products for many years and the classic symptom is if you have excess belly fat. This leads to diabetes and further onwards to heart attack, high blood pressure, strokes, impotence and kidney damage.
Salt and blood pressure. Apart from stress and obesity, one of the main reasons for high blood pressure is excessive sodium and salt intake. Most people find it difficult to limit the amount of salt in their cooking, thinking it will affect the taste of their favourite dishes.
This is not true. Bajra and jowar are rich in potassium and critical for those with High Blood Pressure as it lessens the impact of sodium. Eating more Potassium Rich Foods will remove more sodium from your body through urine. So include the basic bajra roti and jowar roti in your daily diet to have with Lower Blood Pressure Subzis Recipes.
5. Befriend a few healthy seeds and nuts like chia seeds, flax seeds, sesame seeds, walnuts and almonds. Stress. The easiest way to kill your immune system is chronic stress.
6. Sprouts are called ‘living food’. They are high is most nutrients and easy to digest as well. Let them feature in your meals at least thrice a week. Also Read : All Benefits about Sprouts.
7. Exercise 45 minutes every day. No excuse. You can walk fast, run, do weights, play your favourite sport or go to the gym. No activity reduces muscle tissue which will lead to muscke loss and all kinds of problems with that. Workout builds immunity and keeps virus or bugs away.
8. Sleep early and get up early. Get your body into rhythm and it will function best. Sleep helps your body to recover and makes you look much younger. Also getting good sleep prevent muscle loss, builds immunity and keeps virus or bugs away.
One Quick Rava Thalipeeth is high in
1. Fiber : Dietary fiber reduce the risk of heart disease, prevent the spike in blood sugar levels and hence super for diabetics. Consume more fruits, vegetables, moong, oats, matki, whole grains.
2. Vitamin B1 : Vitamin B1 protects nerves, helps in carbohydrate metabolism, prevents heart diseases and helps produce red blood cells.
3. Folic Acid : Folic acid is an essential vitamin required throughout pregnancy.
4. Phosphorus : Phosphorous works closely with calcium to build bones.
Note : a recipe is deemed high in a Vitamin or mineral if it meets 20% and above the recommended daily allowance based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
How to burn 236 calories that come from one Quick Rava Thalipeeth?
Walking (6 kmph) = 1 hour 11 mins
Running (11 kmph) = 24 mins
Cycling (30 kmph) = 31 mins
Swimming (2 kmph) = 40 mins
Note: These values are approximate and calorie burning differs in each individual.