Refried Beans, Mexican Veg Refried Beans
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 460 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 45303 times
If the word re-fried gives you a scare, worry not, this famous Mexican dish is not refried at all! ‘Re’ in Mexican simply means ‘very’ or ‘thoroughly’, so this dish is simply a sumptuous preparation of cooked beans Saute thoroughly with onions and tongue-tickling spice powders. Myriad ingredients added when cooking the rajma, such as tomatoes, green chillies and garlic give it a saucy consistency and a finger-licking flavour as well. Refried Beans can be refrigerated once done, and enjoyed with any meal, from breakfast and dinner, to a quick snack anytime you feel hungry, just as they do in Mexico. Serve with Taco Shells or just wrap in Flour Tortillas with a salad and Salsa .
- Soak the rajma in enough water in a deep bowl and keep aside for overnight. Next day, drain well,
- Combine the rajma, tomatoes, chopped onions, garlic, green chillies, salt and 1 cup of water in a pressure cooker and pressure cook for 5 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Keep the rajma mixture aside.
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the finely chopped onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the rajma mixture, chilli powder, cumin seed powder, sugar, butter and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Mash the mixture lightly using a potato masher.
- Use as required.
Nutrient values per cup
|Vitamin A||396.4 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.3 mg|
|Vitamin C||14.2 mg|
|Folic Acid||13.7 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.