10 Health Benefits of Rajma, Red Kidney Beans
1. Rich in Magnesium : One cup of cooked kidney beans has 26.2% of your daily Magnesium requirements. Magnesium helps in formation of bones and teeth and metabolism of calcium and potassium. Magnesium helps carbohydrates and hence regulate blood sugar levels helping Diabetics.
2. Lowers Cholesterol : Rajma is a complex carb and rich in Fibre which helps in Lowering Cholesterol levels. Soluble fibre may reduce the absorption of cholesterol. Hence lowers total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol (the Bad cholesterol) therefore reducing the risk of heart disease. Soluble fibre creates the bile in the intestine to excreted in the stool. The body needs cholesterol to make bile salts and hence the liver produces more LDL. So more bile salts made in the liver will result in more LDL cholesterol (bad cholesterol) being pulled out of the blood stream. So eat more soluble fibre.
3. Good for Skin : Zinc helps in building immunity, is good for skin, great Antioxidant and involved in energy metabolism and hormone production including testosterone in males and female sex hormones involved in releasing of egg from the ovaries.
4. Good for Diabetics : Rajma is a complex carb with a Glycemic Index of 29 which is low. Low Glycemic index and its high fibre count will slow down the release of sugar thereby keeping you fuller for a longer time. So eating rajma is good for diabetics.
5. Controls Blood Pressure : There is 15% of Potassium daily requirement in one cup of cooked Rajma. Potassium is critical for those with High Blood Pressure as it lessens the impact of sodium. Eating more Potassium Rich Foods will remove more sodium from your body through urine. So if you are suffering from High Blood Pressure and taking medication, then the medicine works by taking out the sodium and potassium from the kidneys. So you need to up your Potassium intake in this case. Fruits and vegetables are a very good source of potassium.
6. Makes Bones Strong : There is 13% of Calcium daily requirement in one cup of cooked Rajma. Calcium is a mineral that makes bones stay strong. The human body consistently remove small amounts of calcium from our bones and that has to be topped up with Calcium rich foods. Calcium is a necessity for all … right from a newborn to an aged person, as the body’s need for calcium actually increases as one gets older.
7. Gives you more Energy : Rajma is Iron rich. Iron is an important nutrient for our body and for our health. It helps our cells "breathe". Iron is essential in the chemical reactions that produce energy from foods.
8. Keeps you leaner : Being rich in Soluble Fibre , Rajma will keep you fuller for a longer time and will prevent you on binge eating.
9. Good for your Eyes : Zinc is essential to treat night blindness. Zinc helps in the activity of an enzyme in our body that helps produce Vitamin A , which is useful in treating night blindness.
10. Powerhouse of Protein : Rajma abounds in protein. A cup of rajma gives 17.1 gm of protein which helps in the maintenance of every cell and tissue of our body. It’s a remarkable substitute to protein brimming non-veg foods.
Nutritional Information of Rajma, Red Kidney Beans
One cup of cooked Rajma is 150 grams.
RDA stands for Recommended Daily Allowance.
Nutritional Information for 1 cup Cooked Rajma, (Kidney beans, red kidney beans).
17.1 grams of Protein
30.3 grams of Carbs
0.7 grams of Fat
See here total nutritional information of rajma.