tacos recipe | Mexican tacos recipe | Vegetarian Tacos |
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 714 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 276224 times
tacos recipe | Mexican tacos recipe | Vegetarian Tacos | with 20 amazing images.
Travel into the heartlands of Mexico with hearty and satiating tacos, one of the most famous dishes of that region. A crispy taco shell, loaded with wholesome rajma topping and tangy uncooked salsa is a delight, which is enhanced further by peppy sauces, juicy lettuce and oh-so-yummy grated cheese!
It is a rustic experience, which warms the heart and fills the tummy with its sensual flavours and mealy textures. Serve the tacos as soon as they are assembled.
Notes on tacos recipe. 1. While the rajma mixture is being cooked, lightly mash rajma with the help of a potato masher. Do not mash completely, this is just to give it little consistency and thickness. 2. Then keep on cooking for some more time, while stirring occasionally. Once the excess moisture has evaporated, the rajma topping for the tacos is ready. 3. You should soak the lettuce leaves in ice-cold water for sometime and then chop them, which will give them a nice crunchy texture on the tacos.
tacos are very filling, they can be enjoyed as a meal by itself, but if you wish create a Mexican meal with side dishes like Chilli Rellenos, Fresh Fruit Salad with Basil Dressing, Crusty Potato Fingers, Mexican Cheese Fajita and Mexican Fried Rice.
Learn to make tacos recipe | Mexican tacos recipe | Vegetarian Tacos | with step by step photos below.
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the onions and garlic paste and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the tomato pulp, tomato ketchup, chilli powder, cumin seeds powder and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the rajma, mix well, mash it lightly using a potato masher and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside.
- Combine all the ingredients in a deep bowl, mix well and mash it lightly using the back of a spoon for 2 to 3 minutes so that the flavours blend well. Keep aside.
- Fill a taco shell with 1 tbsp of rajma filling, ½ tbsp of uncooked salsa and spread ½ tsp of tomato ketchup and ¼ tsp of chilli sauce evenly over it.
- Arrange a few shredded lettuce leaves and 2 tsp of grated cheese evenly over it.
- Repeat steps 1 and 2 to make 13 more tacos.
- Serve the tacos immediately.
- ¾ cup of raw rajma when soaked for 8 hours, drained and pressure cooked with enough water for 6 whistles gives 2 cups of cooked rajma.
Tacos Video by Tarla Dalal
Tacos, Mexican Tacos Recipe, Vegetarian Tacos recipe with step by step photos
- We need to make the taco shells, rajma topping and uncooked salsa. Other ingredients we will need are tomato ketchup, chilli sauce, shredded iceberg lettuce and grated processed cheese.
- For making the taco shells follow our video for the Taco shell recipe if you wish you can also use ready-made taco shells.
To make the rajma filling for the Mexican Tacos, first heat oil in a non-stick pan and add the finely chopped onions.
Add garlic paste and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- To the sauteed onions add the fresh tomato pulp, it has a more vibrant flavor and taste compared to the store bought tomato pulp.
- Then add tomato ketchup, this will give a mild sweetness and bright colour to the rajma topping.
- To spice up the rajma topping add chilli powder.
- Next the cumin seeds powder and finally add salt to taste.
- Mix well and cook on a medium flame, while stirring occasionally.
- Add soaked and cooked rajma. We have soaked about ¾ cup of rajma and pressure cooked them. After soaking and cooking you will get about 2 cups of cooked rajma.
- After adding the cooked rajma mix well. While the rajma mixture is being cooked, lightly mash rajma with the help of a potato masher. Do not mash completely, this is just to give it little consistency and thickness.
Then keep on cooking for some more time, while stirring occasionally. Once the excess moisture has evaporated, the rajma filling for the tacos is ready.
- For the uncooked salsa topping, in a bowl take finely chopped tomatoes.
- Add finely chopped spring onion whites and greens.
- Then add finely chopped green chillies and red chilli flakes for some spice.
- Then add dried oregano for a peppy flavour.
- Add finely chopped coriander.
- Very little sugar to balance the sourness of tomatoes.
- And finally add some salt to taste.
- Combine and mix all the ingredients for the uncooked salsa well and lightly mash with the back of a spoon. Uncooked salsa for the tacos is ready!
Take a taco shell and put about 1 tablespoon of rajma filling.
- Top it with 1/2 tablespoon of uncooked salsa. You can even add guacamole, sour cream.
- Then 1/2 teaspoon of tomato ketchup.
- Next ¼ teaspoon of chilli sauce.
- Some shredded iceberg lettuce over it. You should soak the lettuce leaves in ice-cold water for sometime and then chop them, which will give them a nice crunchy texture.
And finally top it with grated processed cheese to the Mexican Tacos.
Repeat with the remaining taco shells. Mexican Tacos are ready to serve!
For parties you can just assemble all the ingredients needed to make the tacos on the table and let the guest help themselves.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per taco
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.