Apricot Stew with Vanilla Custard
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 68 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 36502 times
Warm, smooth, stewed apricots, topped with low-fat chilled custard and garnished with heart-friendly walnuts, this mouth-watering dessert is one of the best treats that a person with hyper cholesterol levels can enjoy.
Apricots, with their naturally rich flavour and texture get all the more enjoyable after a simple process of deseeding and stewing. Thanks to their sweetness, it suffices to add just a teaspoon of sugar to the custard, helping restrict the calories further.
Walnuts make a great garnish for the Stewed Apricots with Vanilla Custard as their mild saltiness highlights the flavours of this dessert very well.
Check out for many more healthy heart Desserts and low cholesterol Desserts recipes.
- For the stewed apricots
- 1. Wash and soak the apricots in 1 cup of hot water in a deep bowl for 3 hours. Deseed it while retaining the water.
- 2. Transfer the deseeded apricots (along with the water) in a broad non-stick pan and cook on a medium flame for 7 minutes or till they turn soft, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside.
- Combine the custard powder in ¼ cup of low-fat milk in a bowl, mix well and keep aside.
- Combine the remaining ¾ cup of milk and sugar in a broad non-stick pan, mix well and bring to boil.
- Add the custard powder-milk mixture, mix well and cook on a slow flame for 4 minutes or till the custard coats the back of a spoon, while stirring continuously. Keep aside to cool slightly.
- Once cooled, refrigerate for atleast an hour.
- Divide the stewed apricots and vanilla custard into 5 equal portions.
- Place one portion of the stewed apricots in a serving bowl and top it with one portion of the chilled custard.
- Repeat step 2 to make 4 more servings.
- Serve immediately garnished with walnuts.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.