Heart Healthy Indian Desserts
Desserts safe for Heart Patients
Creamy mousses, puddings, cakes and ice-creams! If you these words sadden you, then you are probably under the misconception that such desserts are a strict NO-NO for a heart-friendly meal. Have a look at these recipes before you decide.
Oats Apple Phirni
From kheer and phirni to pies and puddings, this section features luscious, heart-friendly desserts like Strawberry Yoghurt, Eggless Chocolate Pudding, etc., made using nutritious and low-fat ingredients - perfectly okay to enjoy as occasional treats. The desserts in this section are prepared using low-fat milk products, less sugar or no sugar at all. Fruits and dry fruits like dates are used for sweetening.
Eggless Chocolate Pudding
Heart Healthy Indian Desserts, Milk Based Desserts
Apricot Stew with Vanilla Custard is one of the best dessert treats a person with high cholesterol can have as it is low in cholesterol and fat. Give a try to this unique recipe of Stuffed Lychees which are sure to melt in your mouth and you won’t regret making it.
Apricot Stew with Vanilla Custard
Apple and Walnut Kheer gives a boost of omega 3 fats from walnuts and antioxidants from apple, although the recipe uses low fat milk it is thickened by oats. Oats and apple fibre are great for reducing cholesterol levels.
Apple and Walnut Kheer
Heart Healthy Indian Desserts, Without Milk Desserts
Give a punch of dry fruits and walnuts to yourself with this recipe for Date Pancakes, it is naturally sweet due to dates and raisins and does not require addition of sugar.
Apple Crumble is one of its kind recipe which has a distinct flavour of stewed apples and cinnamon, cinnamon is also good for heart and should be included in your regular diet.
Sweet Potato Puranpoli is a healthy version of regular puranpoli as it is made without using extra ghee/oil which add on to the calories, it is also low in sodium.
Sweet Potato Puranpoli
Halwa dessert for heart patients
Packed with fresh carrots, this classic healthy gajar ka halwa provides you with plenty of vitamin A. We have sweetened the low fat gajjar halwa recipe with iron-rich dates and completely avoided white sugar. This not only reduces the fat but also boosts the health quotient.
Low Fat Carrot Halwa, Healthy Gajar Halwa
What causes your heart to not work correctly?
There are 5 basic reasons why we have heart issues.
1. Belly fat : The more belly fat you have, the higher the risk of a heart attack. This shows wrong food habits, bad quality vegetable oil, sugar, maida, cornflour excess etc create this problem. High blood pressure in a major problem for your heart and also uncontrolled diabetes.
Your diabetes is not solved by just popping pills. You need to change the way you eat. Wrong foods eaten lead to the inflammation of the arteries of your heart. Blockages in the arteries Blockages lead to heart attack and that is so easy to fix as simple as eating healthy. Remove inflammation in your body.
Date and Walnut Balls
2. Eating processed foods : Avoid junk food and follow simple basic home cooked food. Stay away from refined vegetable oils. Opt for unfrefined oils like olive oil, coconut oil. You could also have cold pressed peanut oil in your cooking as that is available in India.
Also remember to wash your hands before you eat as they can carry infections. Your hands have opened doors, pressed lift buttons etc where others with infection may have touched them before. Thats how a virus can spread.
Lauki ki Kheer
3. Always be active and get your exercises in : Yes, want a healthy heart then put in the effort. Even if you have a one hour workout and you are sitting for the next 9 hours, then your one hour workout is almost useless. Inactivity, sedentary lifestyle or sitting too long is the number one cause of inflammation and poor blood circulation in your system.
Your heart needs two things, the right nutrients (eating wisely) and oxygen and both these are carried by your blood circulation. Blood circulation happens with movement. If your are in your office, then try and sit on a stool without a back rest and that will make you use your core and fire up your body. That is why we find new age workers wanting to stand at times the whole day while working at their desk.
Chana Dal Barfi
Blood circulation is at its lowest when we are sitting or sedentary. 2 hours of watching TV may reduce heart healthy by 13% to 15% says Harvard study.
There is a way to watch TV. Get up from your TV or pause and walk around or even better do some basic exrecises while watching TV. If you had an active day then nothing will happen by watching TV for 2 hours.
Jowar Apple Sheera, Healthy Indian Sweet
4. Smoking and Stress : The two s's. Common senses is stay away from your puff. Regarding stress, more stress makes more cortisol which creates more inflammation.
That swells your arteries over time and leasds to a heart attack. Sort your stress out.
Three Flour Golpapdi
5. Lack of sleep : Your body needs 8 hours sleep. Sleep depravation and inflammation are linked with one another. If you are sleep deprived, then you are compromising your heart health.
Stress is also a big issue for heart attack. More stress makes more cortisol which creates more inflammation.
Crunchy Apple Custard
Enjoy our Heart Healthy Indian Desserts and other healthy heart recipes articles.
Healthy Heart Accompaniments (20 recipes)
Healthy Heart Breakfast (25 recipes)
Healthy Heart Dals & Kadhis (31 recipes)
Healthy Heart Drinks Beverages (19 recipes)
Healthy Heart International Recipes (26 recipes)
Healthy Heart Rice, Khichdi and Biryani (25 recipes)
Healthy Heart Rotis & Parathas (33 recipes)
Healthy Heart Salads Raitas (58 recipes)
Healthy Heart Soups (25 recipes)
Healthy Heart Starters Snacks (60 recipes)
Healthy Heart Subzis (41 recipes)