Adai , Diabetic Adai Recipe
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 179 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 146476 times
Adai is a very popular snack in parts of South India, where it is served as Breakfast or as supper. Traditionally, this dosa-like snack is made with a batter of rice and lentils, flavoured with chillies, pepper and other ingredients.
In this diabetic-friendly variant, we have substituted rice with broken wheat, which not only matches up to the original in terms of flavour but also gives a unique texture that is absolutely delectable.
Diabetics can have two Adais for Breakfast , to meet their nutrient requirements.
- Combine the broken wheat, green moong dal, masoor dal, urad dal and fenugreek seeds in a deep bowl and soak in enough water for 2 hours. Drain well.
- Blend them in a mixer along with approx. ¾ cup of water to a coarse mixture.
- Transfer the mixture into a deep bowl, add the onions, asafoetida, ginger-green chilli paste, coriander, turmeric powder, curry leaves and salt and mix well.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle), sprinkle a little water on it and wipe it off gently using a muslin cloth.
- Pour a ladleful of the batter on it and spread it in a circular motion to make a 125 mm. (5”) diameter thin circle.
- Smear 1/8 tsp of oil over it and along the edges and cook on a medium flame till the adai turns golden brown in colour from both the sides.
- Fold over to make a semi-circle.
- Repeat steps 4 to 7 to make 23 more adais. .
- Serve immediately.
Nutrient values per adai
|Energy|| 63 kcal|
|Protein|| 2.7 gm|
|Carbohydrates|| 9.9 gm|
|Fat|| 1.4 gm|
|Calcium|| 11.1 mg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.