Kadai Paneer ( Rotis and Subzis)
by Tarla Dalal
- हिन्दी में पढ़ें (Kadai Paneer ( Rotis and Subzis) in Hindi)
- ગુજરાતી માં વાંચો (Kadai Paneer ( Rotis and Subzis) in Gujarati)
Added to 1414 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 109175 times
Here is one popular recipe that is there on almost every indian restaurant’s menu, all over the world! deep-fried paneer in tomato-based gravy, you can opt to make this mild or spicy as per your taste. However, try not to omit the capsicum and kasuri methi, because their sharp flavours complement the paneer very well.
- Combine the red chillies and coriander seeds and dry roast on a hot non-stick tava (griddle), for 30 seconds
- Remove and keep aside to cool.
- Blend in a mixer to a fine powder and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a kadhai, add the garlic and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the prepared red chilli-coriander seeds powder and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the green chillies and sauté on a medium flame for another 30 seconds.
- Add the tomatoes, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 10 to 12 minutes or till the oil separates, while stirring occasionally.
- Mash it a little using a potato masher.
- Add the tomato purée, dried fenugreek leaves, garam masala, salt and approx. 2 tbsp of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a kadhai and deep-fry the paneer pieces a few at a time, till they turn light brown in colour from all the sides. Drain on absorbent paper and place in lukewarm water for 10 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a kadhai, add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for approx. 3 to 4 minutes or till they turn translucent.
- Add the kadhai gravy, coriander-cumin seeds powder, chilli powder, turmeric powder, garam masala and dried fenugreek leaves and sauté on a medium flame for another minute.
- Add the capsicum and 1 cup of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring once in between.
- Add the paneer, salt and sugar, mix well and cook on a slow flame for another 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the cream and mix well.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander.
Kadai Paneer Video by Tarla Dalal
Kadai Paneer ( Rotis and Subzis) recipe with step by step photos
- The real flavour in this recipe comes from the freshly ground red chillies and whole coriander. So first take whole dry Kashmiri red chillies in a non-stick pan.
- Add coriander seeds and roast on a non-stick tava (griddle), for a few seconds.
- Cool and grind in a mixer to a fine powder. I would suggest you to make this powder and store for other uses like sprinkling on dhoklas, dosas, salads etc. or adding to potato subzi or any dry subzi. It lends an awesome taste.
- First heat oil in a non-stick pan. Add chopped garlic.
- To this add the prepared dry masala powder.
- Then add the chopped green chillies.
- Add the finely chopped tomatoes and cook on a medium flame.
- Mix well and cook for 10 to 12 minutes till soft and cooked or else there will be a raw taste and will not taste good. Mash it with a potato masher or with the back of a spoon for a nice thick pulp.
- Add tomato puree.
- Add some water and salt to taste.
- Crush the dry fenugreek leaves between your palms and add to the gravy.
- Add garam masala.
- Let the gravy simmer till the oil separates, while stirring occasionally.
- First lightly fry the paneer cubes in hot oil till light brown. Do this so that the paneer does not break when added to the gravy. As far as possible use fresh soft paneer. To make paneer at home follow our recipe for Homemade paneer. Also, don’t discard the whey when you make the paneer and use it for making whey soup.
- Put the fried paneer in luke warm water, they will become soft.
- Heat oil in a kadai. Add finely chopped onions.Sauté the onions till they turn translucent.
- Add the prepared kadai gravy. Mix well.
- Add coriander-cumin seeds powder.
- Then add chilli powder and turmeric powder.
- Add garam masala.
- Then add dried fenugreek leaves.
- Add 1 cup water.
- Add sliced capsicum and salt to taste.
- Drain and add the paneer cubes.
- Add fresh cream and mix well. Remove in a plate and serve with rotis, paratha or naan.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||891.1 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||-0.3 mg|
|Vitamin B2||-0.5 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0 mg|
|Vitamin C||42.5 mg|
|Folic Acid||36.1 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.