How many calories does one Farali Kand Aloo Pakoda have?
One Farali Kand Aloo Pakoda gives 385 calories Out of which carbohydrates comprise 127 calories, proteins account for 12 calories and remaining calories come from fat which is 246 calories. One Farali Kand Aloo Pakoda provides about 19 percent of the total daily calorie requirement of a standard adult diet of 2,000 calories.
Click here to view Farali Kand Aloo Pakoda recipe. kand aloo pakoda recipe | navratri, vrat ka khana | upvas aloo kand pakora | aloo bhajiya for fasting |
kand aloo pakoda is a sumptuous snack for fasting days which is very easy to prepare. Learn how to make upvas aloo kand pakoda.
Crispy and flavourful pakodas made of purple yam (kand), potatoes and crushed peanuts, this navratri, vrat ka khana are a perfect snack time treat. It is interesting to know that these pakodas are held together by the starch in yam and potatoes along with peanuts and needs very little arrowroot flour.
To make kand aloo pakoda, combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Heat the oil in a non-stick kadhai, drop spoonfuls of the mixture in it and deep-fry on a medium flame till the pakodas are golden brown in colour from all sides. Drain on absorbent paper. Serve kand aloo pakoda immediately with green chutney.
The peanuts not only add an exciting flavour to these yam pakodas, they also make the texture more cheery. The best part is that this aloo bhajiya for fasting can be enjoyed at any time of the day on fasting days.
These pakodas must be enjoyed off the pan to enjoy their crispy texture. Green chutney with upvas aloo kand pakora is all you need for serving.
Tips for kand aloo pakoda.
1. Drain the water from parboiled purple yam very well so there is no difficulty in binding the mixture.
2. Grate the raw potatoes just before mixing, else they will discolour.
3. If you notice that the mixture disintegrates in oil, add a tbsp of arrowroot flour, mix well and continue deep-frying.
4. Do not keep turning the pakodas frequently once immersed in oil or it may lose its shape and disintegrate.
Enjoy kand aloo pakoda recipe | navratri, vrat ka khana | upvas aloo kand pakora | aloo bhajiya for fasting | with video and recipe.
Is Farali Kand Aloo Pakoda healthy?
Yes, this is healthy. But restrictions apply to some with very little quantity of consumption.
Let's understand the Ingredients.
What's good in Kand Aloo Pakoda.
Kand (Purple Yam) : The antioxidant anthocyanin is the key element in Kand which will help fight the free radicals produced due to stress and pollution. Again it’s the anthocyanin which is identified as an anti-cancer agent. It helps in the prevention of cancerous cells. Purple yam is fairly good source of carb, almost equal to potatoes, so it would be best for diabetics to restrict its use. Potassium in it will balance the effect of sodium and ease the nerves. However, kand also lends some carbs with it. So if you are overweight or diabetic along with exhibiting heart trouble, try and restrict its consumption. Read details is kand healthy?
Peanuts : Peanuts contain Vitamin B1, Thiamine which helps form ATP (Adenosine triphosphate) which body uses for energy. A handful of peanuts gives you 7.3 grams of Protein. Peanuts, Almonds and Walnuts are rich in Protein and healthy monounsaturated fats which won’t spike your blood sugar levels and good for a diabetic snack and healthy heart snack. Eating a handful of Peanuts a day is said to increase the good cholesterol (HDL) in your body which is good for heart health. Read 11 amazing benefits of peanuts.
Coriander (kothmir, dhania): Coriander is a fresh herb often used as a flavour enhancer in Indian cooking. It is mainly used as a garnish. This is the best way to use it - no cooking. This preserves its vitamin C content which helps to build our immunity and bring that sparkle to the skin. The antioxidants vitamin A, vitamin C and the quercetin present in coriander works towards strengthening our immune system. Coriander is a fairly good source of iron and folate – the 2 nutrient which help in the production and maintenance of red blood cells in our blood. Good for reducing cholesterol and good for diabetics. Read 9 benefits of coriander to understand details.
Green Chillies : Antioxidant vitamin C in green chillies protects the body from effects of harmful free radicals and prevents stress. It is probably the high fiber which helps in controlling blood sugar levels. This it is a welcome addition to a diabetic diet. Suffering from anaemia? Add green chillies to your list of iron rich foods too. For complete details see benefits of green chilli.
What's the problem.
Vegetable Oils : To some vegetable oil is only soyabean oil, while some promote it as a mix of oils like soyabean, canola, sunflower, corn and other omega-6 rich oils. These are often cheaper options than many oils, but they are highly processed oils. They are undoubtedly not to be reached out for, whether you are looking for salad dressings, sautéing or cooking. The 5 best oils used in cooking are olive oil (low temperature short time cooking), avocado oil, canola oil, coconut oil and peanut oil. You must read the super article to find the facts of which oil is the healthiest avoid vegetable oil.
Potatoes (Aloo) : Potatoes being high in simple carbohydrates will lead to weight gain and are not good for people with diabetes, heart problem and obesity. Potatoes are recommended for malnourished children and people with low weight. See full details on why potatoes are bad for you.
Deep fried foods : This recipe is deep fried. Any food that is deep fried is not suitable for healthy living. Your fat levels increase as deep frying increases oil absorption. Also when you use the same oil again for deep frying then smoking point decreases which leads to the development of blue smoke which is not good for health. Processed food, Deep Fried Foods also increases inflammation in the body and shuts down the fat burning process. Most diseases from heart, to cardio vascular, diabetes, parkinsons, alzheimer, cancer and obesity result when the cells get inflamed and then they don't function correctly. Inflammation in the arteries can cause heart attacks. So your diet should contain foods that fight inflammation in the body. That's how your body gets healthier by eating the right stuff.
Note : 1 cup = 200 ml (standard cup available in the market). The weight in grams varies for each ingredient.
Can diabetics, heart patients and over weight individuals have Kand Aloo Pakoda ?
No, they cannot. Deep fried food does not work for anyone. Better to look for a healthier option.Potatoes being high in simple carbohydrates will lead to weight gain and are not good for people with diabetes, heart problem and obesity.
Can healthy individuals have Kand Aloo Pakoda?
No, they cannot. Stay away from deep fried food. The fact you reached this page means you love your health. We also do at Tarladalal and don't mince words. Eat good quality food that has fibre, proteins in them.
Here are some Healthy snack options
You can have Buckwheat Khichdi, Low Fat Carrot Halwa, Farali Dosa, Kand Sandwich, Buckwheat Dhokla, Dry Fruit Stuffed Dates as one healthy recipe option.
Buckwheat Khichdi, Farali Kutto Khichdi Recipe
We also suggest this quick thalipeeth recipe made without potatoes and rajgira.
Thalipeeth, Quick Maharashtrian Thalipeeth
8 Pointers to get healthy on a Indian diet
1. Eat healthy and say yes to good home cooked food. Prefer whole grains like oatmeal, quinoa, buckwheat, barley and healthy flours like bajra flour, jowar flour, quinoa flour, wheat flour etc. rather than refined ones like maida. Have healthy Indian fats like ghee, coconut, coconut oil in your diet.
2. Opt out of junk food, packaged food, deep fried foods. Prefer steamed snacks and other non-fried snacks. Check out some Healthy Indian Snacks. Remember to eat small frequent meals through the day as that will keep you always full and prevent your blood sugar from dropping. By starving your body through some diet, will not help you one bit. In fact, dieting will make you binge on 2 to 3 meals which is not good.
3. Have 4 to 5 servings of vegetables and 2 to 3 servings of fruit is a must. Follow the logic of a vegetable in each main meal of the day and a fruit in-between meals. Check out a few Healthy Indian Soups and Healthy Indian Salads recipes using this food group.
4. Cut down on sugar and salt in your diet and pick honey ( very small amounts) or dates to sweeten your food. Slowly cut the sugar habit as this is not going to happen over night. Sugar is also called white poison. It is a simple carbohydrate with zero nutritional value. On intake, sugar will cause inflammation of the body which will last for many hours. It will spike your blood sugar level and shut down the fat burning process. This also causes high blood sugar levels in your body. The development of prediabetes comes from uncontrolled eating sugar and refined food products for many years and the classic symptom is if you have excess belly fat. This leads to diabetes and further onwards to heart attack, high blood pressure, strokes, impotence and kidney damage.
Salt and blood pressure. Apart from stress and obesity, one of the main reasons for high blood pressure is excessive sodium and salt intake. Most people find it difficult to limit the amount of salt in their cooking, thinking it will affect the taste of their favourite dishes.
This is not true. Bajra and jowar are rich in potassium and critical for those with High Blood Pressure as it lessens the impact of sodium. Eating more Potassium Rich Foods will remove more sodium from your body through urine. So include the basic bajra roti and jowar roti in your daily diet to have with Lower Blood Pressure Subzis Recipes.
5. Befriend a few healthy seeds and nuts like chia seeds, flax seeds, sesame seeds, walnuts and almonds.
6. Sprouts are called ‘living food’. They are high is most nutrients and easy to digest as well. Let them feature in your meals at least thrice a week. Also Read : All Benefits about Sprouts.
7. Exercise 45 minutes every day. No excuse. You can walk fast, run, do weights, play your favourite sport or go to the gym.
8. Sleep early and get up early. Get your body into rhythm and it will function best. Sleep helps your body to recover.
Kand Aloo Pakod is high in
1. Vitamin C : Vitamin C is a great defence against coughs and colds.
Note : a recipe is deemed high in a Vitamin or mineral if it meets 20% and above the recommended daily allowance based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
How to burn 385 calories that come from one serving of Kand Aloo Pakoda?
|Walking (6 kmph) =
|| 1 hour 56 min
|Running (11 kmph) =
|| 39 mins
|Cycling (30 kmph) =
|| 51 mins
|Swimming (2 kmph) =
|| 1 hour 6 mins
Note: These values are approximate and calorie burning differs in each individual.