Buckwheat Dhokla, Faraal Buckwheat Dhokla
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 118 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 83712 times
The Buckwheat Dhokla combines taste and nutrition in an easy-to-cook form. A batter of buckwheat is perked up with curds, ginger and green chillies to make soft and tasty dhoklas.
Though the buckwheat needs to be soaked for two hours, the batter does not require any fermentation afterwards, so you do not have to plan too much in advance.
Serve this tasty snack with green chutney or other suitable accompaniments.
You can also try other low-calorie recipes like the Lemon and Coriander Soup and the Bajra, Carrot and Onion Uttapa .
- Clean and wash the buckwheat in enough water only once. Washing it more will cause the starch to drain out.
- Drain the excess water using a strainer.
- Combine the buckwheat, curds and ½ cup of water in a deep bowl and mix well. Cover with a lid and keep aside to soak for at least 4 to 5 hours.
- Add the green chilli paste, ginger paste and salt and mix very well.
- Pour half the batter into a greased 175 mm. (7") diameter thali and spread evenly by rotating the thali clockwise.
- Steam in a steamer for 10 to 12 minutes or till the dhoklas are cooked.
- Repeat steps 5 and 6 to make 1 more thali.
- Cool slightly, cut into pieces and serve immediately.
- At step 3, allow the mixture to soak for at least 4 hours in summer season. In winter season the soaking time should be increased to 5 hours and if needed to 6 hours depending on the temperature. This will ensure soft dhoklas as the end result.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.