Gobi 65 Recipe, Indian Cauliflower Fried Starter
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 12 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 4382 times
In 1965, A. M. Buhari, the owner of Chennai’s famous Buhari Hotel chain introduced a starter called Chicken 65, which became so popular that vegetarian variants like Paneer 65 and Gobi 65 soon emerged!
Today, the vegetarian versions are so popular that they are served in most popular restaurants as a starter apart from being sold by roadside vendors and bakeries!
It is also made in homes as an accompaniment for evening tea. Gobi 65 is a scrumptious veg version made by deep-frying cauliflower florets coated with a tongue-tickling batter of flours and masalas. Strong notes of ginger and garlic make this an appetizer in the true sense of the word!
You can also try other cauliflower based recipes like the Cauliflower Stir-fry or Cauliflower in Schezuan Sauce .
- Combine the plain flour, cornflour, chilli powder, ginger paste, garlic paste, coriander, garam masala, turmeric powder, coriander powder, lemon juice and salt in a deep bowl and mix well.
- Add approx. ¾ cup of water and mix well.
- Add the cauliflower florets and mix gently.
- Heat the oil for deep-frying in a deep non-stick pan and deep-fry a few cauliflower florets at a time till they turn golden brown in colour from all the sides. Drain on an absorbent paper.
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the garlic, ginger, green chillies and curry leaves and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the onions and little salt and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add the deep-fried cauliflower and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||274.8 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.2 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.2 mg|
|Vitamin B3||2 mg|
|Vitamin C||33.9 mg|
|Folic Acid||26.7 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.