How many calories does one serving of Bajra Khakhras have?
One serving of Bajra Khakhras gives 86 calories. Out of which carbohydrates comprise 26 calories, proteins account for 4 calories and remaining calories come from fat which is 56 calories. One serving of Bajra Khakhras provides about 4 percent of the total daily calorie requirement of a standard adult diet of 2,000 calories.
See Bajra Khakhras Recipe | Indian style bajra til khakhra | bajre ka khakhra | healthy snack - bajra khakhra |
bajra khakhra is a nutritious and flavourful Indian snack packed with irresistible texture and flavour. Learn how to make Indian style bajra til khakhra.
Bajre ka khakhra is an interesting variation to wheat flour khakhra which has bajra flour as its main ingredient paired with small quantities of wheat flour. Bajra along with sesame seeds make these khakhras a good source of iron – a key nutrient required to supply oxygen to all parts of the body.
To make bajra khakhra, combine the bajra flour, whole wheat flour, ginger-garlic paste, green chillies, sesame seeds, turmeric powder, oil and salt. Add enough warm water and knead well into a firm dough. Divide the dough into 7 equal portions and roll each on a floured surface into a 75 mm. (3") diameter thin circle. Cook on a hot tava (griddle) on both the sides with a little ghee until pink spots appear on top of the rolled out dough. With the help of a folded muslin cloth, press the khakhra from all sides and cook till crisp, over a slow flame. Repeat for the remaining to make 6 more khakhras. Cool and store in an air-tight container.
Perfectly spiced with ginger, garlic and green chilli paste, these crispy Indian style bajra til khakhra are a perfect pick me up snack for any time of the day. Pregnant women in their first trimester can include this dry snack for breakfast to ease morning sickness. Make these in large batches so that you can have them in the mornings whenever you have the urge to eat something.
Bajra is also a rich source of magnesium which improves insulin response which is good for Diabetics and maintains heartbeat which benefits the heart. These healthy snack - bajra khakhras are cooked with ghee, but if you make them without too much ghee they are suitable for – diabetics, weight loss, PCOS, heart patients and even cancer patients.
Tips for bajra khakhra. 1. Rolling these khakhras is slightly difficult so roll them with light hands and less pressure. 2. Cook them only on a slow flame to achieve the necessary crispiness. 3. Before storing them ensure to cool completely. Even slight warmth remaining in the khakhras might make them soggy.
Is Bajra Khakhras healthy?
Yes, this is healthy.
Let's understand the ingredients.
1. Bajra flour : Bajra flour is high in protein and is a complete protein for vegetarians when combined with dal. So as a Vegetarian, include bajra in your diet. Bajra is a great option for those on a gluten free diet. Bajra is rich in Magnesium which improves insulin response by lowering insulin resistance which is good for Diabetics and healthy heart but to be had in restricted quantity and had with low fat curds or raita to minimise the carb impact. See here for the 18 benefits of bajra flour and why you should have it.
2. Whole Wheat flour : Whole wheat flour is excellent for diabetics as they will not shoot up your blood sugar levels as they are a low GI food. Whole wheat flour is rich in Phosphorus which is a major mineral which works closely with calcium to build our bones. Vitamin B9 helps your body to produce and maintain new cells, especially increase red blood cells. See detailed 11 benefits of whole wheat flour and why it's good for you.
3. Green Chillies : Antioxidant vitamin C in green chillies protects the body from effects of harmful free radicals and prevents stress. It is probably the high fiber which helps in controlling blood sugar levels. This it is a welcome addition to a diabetic diet. Suffering from anaemia? Add green chillies to your list of iron rich foods too. For complete details see benefits of green chilli.
4. Sesame Seeds (Til) : These tiny white seeds are indeed a good source of protein. Half of daily requirement of calcium is fulfilled by consuming ½ cup of sesame seeds. Sesame seeds are a storehouse of iron, folic acid and help to prevent iron deficiency anaemia and boost your energy. The lignans, a type of polyphenol, present in seed does wonders to naturally reduce cholesterol levels. See detailed benefits of sesame seeds.
5. Turmeric Powder (Haldi) : Turmeric helps in digestion of food thus helping to overcome indigestion. Haldi may help in reducing the growth of fat cells in the body. Turmeric, being rich in iron, is highly valuable in the treatment of anaemia and both the root as well as the powder should be a regular part of an anaemic diet. One of the health benefits of turmeric is it’s anti-inflammatory property due to the active compound, Curcumin, which helps to relieve inflammation of the joints and thus is a ladder to relieve pain related to arthritis. The curcumin in haldi also helps to ward of the bacteria’s causing cold, cough and throat irritation. Turmeric benefits in diabetes management by lowering blood glucose levels. Its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects are useful in the treatment of diabetes patients. It is known to be a good brain food and keep diseases like Alzheimer’s at bay. See here for detailed turmeric benefits.
6. Ghee : We have used 1 tsp of ghee per khakhra for this recipe. Other than calories and fats, the only nutrients that ghee is rich in are the vitamins – all of which are fat-soluble. All the 3 vitamins (Vitamin A, Vitamin E and Vitamin K) are antioxidants which have a role in removing free radicals from the body and protecting our cell as well as help in maintaining skin health and glow. Ghee is an excellent, high-quality selection medium of cooking because of its high smoke point. As compared to most oils and butter, ghee can handle a smoke point of 230°C, 450°F, thus its less prone to oxidant and destruction of nutrients. Yes, ghee does contain cholesterol, but some amount of cholesterol is needed by the body. Cholesterol has some functions to play too. It is necessary for hormone production, brain function, cell health and lubricating the joints. It is, in reality, a high quality fat for the body and brain. Ghee is loaded with fats but that’s medium chain fatty acids (MCT) which aid in weight loss. Ghee is healthy for daibetics in small amounts. Learn to easily make your ghee at home which is free of preservatives. See benefits of ghee.
7. Ginger (Adrak) : Ginger is an effective cure for congestion, sore throat, cold and cough. It aids digestion and relieves constipation. Ginger was found as effective as drugs in relieving menstrual pain. Ginger is effective in decreasing the cholesterol levels in patients with high cholesterol. Ginger significantly reduces symptoms of nausea in pregnant ladies. See here for 16 Super Health Benefits of Adrak, Ginger.
8. Garlic : Garlic has been proven to lower cholesterol. The active ingredient allicin present in garlic aids in lowering blood pressure. Garlic is also alleged to help regulate blood glucose levels for diabetics. Garlic is great for the heart and circulatory system. Garlic has an antimicrobial, antiviral and antifungal function and can help in relieving common cold and other viral infections. To boost your immune system have a garlic clove a day. Garlic is a top anti viral food. The thiosulphate compound, Allicin found in garlic acts as a strong antioxidant and protects our body from damage of free radicals. Read here for complete benefits of garlic.
Note : 1 cup = 200 ml (standard cup available in the market). The weight in grams varies for each ingredient.
Can diabetics, heart patients and over weight individuals have Bajra Khakhras ?
Yes, this recipe is good for diabetics, heart and weight loss. Bajra flour is high in protein and is a complete protein for vegetarians when combined with dal. So as a Vegetarian, include bajra in your diet. Bajra is a great option for those on a gluten free diet.
Can healthy individuals have Bajra Khakhras ?
Yes, this is a great healthy Indian snack to have. Make a large batch and keep at home and in the office in an airtight container.
Khakhra is good for
1. Healthy Recipes Lifestyle
2. Low Calorie Snack
3. Diabetic Snacks
4. Healthy Heart Snacks
5. Pregnancy snacks
6. Kids snacks
How to burn 86 calories that come from one big glass of Apple and Date Smoothie?
Walking (6 kmph) = 26 mins
Running (11 kmph) = 9 mins
Cycling (30 kmph) = 11 mins
Swimming (2 kmph) = 15 mins
Note: These values are approximate and calorie burning differs in each individual.