Pizza Sauce, Home Made Pizza Sauce Recipe
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 207 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 59712 times
A classic Italian recipe. This is a blend of harmonious flavors of ripe tomatoes with onion, peppercorns and oregano.
I often make large quantities of this sauce when tomatoes are in season and freeze it in an air-tight container. That way I am always ready to serve Pizzas in a hurry.
You can use this recipe for a pasta sauce. Dilute the sauce using water and add 2 tablespoons fresh cream to mellow the sauce a little and toss cooked pasta in it. You can add your favourite herbs too, like a few leaves of basil.
- Blanch the tomatoes in boiling water.
- Peel, cut into quarters and deseed the tomatoes.
- Chop finely and keep the tomato pulp aside.
- Heat the olive oil, add the bay leaves and peppercorns and sauté for a few seconds.
- Add the onions, garlic and sauté for a few minutes.
- Add the tomato pulp and allow it to simmer for 10 to 15 minutes until the sauce reduces a little.
- Add the tomato purée, ketchup, sugar, chilli powder and salt and simmer for some more time.
- Add the oregano and mix well. Remove the bay leaves and peppercorns and discard.
- Allow it to cool slightly and then blend in a mixer to a smooth purée.
- Use as required.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.