Added to 1708 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 1498275 times
A hurried meal for the man in the street. This is a spicy blend of vegetables in tomato gravy served with pav that is cooked with butter. This is truly an innovation that arose out of the necessity of providing a nice hot meal in a hurry and one that tickles the taste buds. When I am lazy to cook on an entire meal for my family, pav bhaji in one of the first few dishes which comes to mind. It is easy to cook and also filling. Round it off with a slice of kulfi or a scoop of ice-cream
- Boil the cauliflower, peas and carrots till they are soft. Drain out the excess water.
- Heat the butter in a large pan, add the onion and capsicum and sauté for 2 minutes. Then, add the prepared chilli-garlic paste and sauté till the onion softens.
- Add the tomatoes and simmer till the oil separates.
- Add the turmeric powder, chilli powder, pav bhaji masala, black salt and salt and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the boiled vegetables and potatoes and mash thoroughly using a potato masher, adding ½ cup of water if required.
- Slice each pav into 2 horizontally. Apply a little butter to each side and sprinkle with a little pav bhaji masala, if desired.
- Heat a large tava and cook the pav on both sides till the pieces are lightly browned.
- Serve the hot bhaji on 4 individual plates and top with the onion and coriander.
- Serve with the hot pav and lemon wedges.
- Pav bhaji masala is a spice blend which is readily available at most grocery stores.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.