Viewed 51806 times
Also Known As
Kala Namak, Sanchal powder
Black salt is a pinkish coloured salt infused with sulfurous herbs and spices. The distinct flavour of this salt is what makes it unique from table salt and sea salt.
How to Select
• It is available in almost all supermarkets and grocery stores.
• Purchase dry, finely-powdered, packaged black salt.
• Ensure that there is no moisture in the pack, as it may turn into lumps.
• It is better to buy and store a few small packs of black salt instead of one big pack to avoid hydration when opened.
• It is used as a condiment in preparing various chaats, raitha, chutneys, etc.
• It is also used as a key ingredient in preparing snacks like the mint-flavoured pani puri.
• Many Indian deep-fried snacks use black salt as a flavouring agent. It is sprinkled on top of the snacks to lend its characteristic sulphurous sour flavour.
• Various brands of chaat masala available in the market have black salt as the main ingredient along with other spices.
How To Store
• The salt tends to moisten faster due to hydration. So, once the pack is opened, store it in a dry vacuum container of glass or plastic.
• Always close the container tightly after every use.
• Do not use a wet spoon to remove the salt from the container; else it will form into lumps.
• Since the sodium level in black salt is less as compared to table salt, it is prescribed to patients with high blood pressure or those on low salt diets.
• It is also known for comforting intestinal gas trouble.
• Black salt is considered as a cooling spice in Ayurveda, and thus helps treat heartburn.
• It is used as a laxative and digestive aid.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.