dried mango powder
Last Updated : Apr 16,2018
Viewed 74490 times
Also known as
Dried mango powder is a spice made by grinding dried mangoes. The powder preserves the acidic, tart and spicy flavour of unripe mangoes. Preparing dried mango powder at home is easy. Peel and slice unripe green mangoes into thin strips. Rub them with powdered turmeric to avert pest attacks. Dry in the sun for 5-6 days. Once dry, grind in a mixer into a fine powder.
How to select
• Various brands of aamchur powder are available in the market.
• Look for dried mango powder that is fibrous in texture and beige in colour.
• Ensure the packet is properly sealed and check the use-by date.
• For preparing dried mango powder at home, select unripe green mangoes. The skin should be firm. Avoid using mangoes that are about to mature.
• Aamchur is commonly used for flavouring curries, chutneys, soups and marinades.
• It is a souring agent like tamarind and has tenderising qualities like lime juice.
• Aamchur can be used instead of tamarind to prepare sweet-sour dal or sambhar.
• It imparts a good flavour to kebabs and barbecued items.
• It is also used to add flavour to dishes like Dum Aloo (a potato preparation) and Biryani (rice cooked with masalas and vegetables).
How to store
• Keep dried mango powder in an air-tight container in a cool and dry place.
• It combats acidity and improves digestion.
• It is a fair source of vitamins A and E, which help to strengthen the heart and acquire a glowing skin.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.