Palak Masoor Dal
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 84 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 38737 times
A fragrant spinach and lentil preparation made without the use of any calorie-laden ingredients. Enjoy this dal with phulkas or parathas made on a non-stick pan by only brushing the parathas with oil and not adding extra oil to cook them. Do remember not to overcook this dal as the spinach tends to discolour.
- Wash and soak the masoor dal in enough water for an hour. Drain and discard the water.
- Combine the masoor dal, ginger-green chilli paste, turmeric powder and 2 cups of water in a pressure cooker and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the cumin seeds and the cardamom.
- When the seeds crackle, add the asafetida, dry red chillies, curry leaves and garlic and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the cooked dal mixture, tamarind pulp, spinach and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot.
Palak Masoor Dal (Healthy Heart) Video by Tarla Dalal
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.