Mexican Bread Rolls
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 727 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 138129 times
Well, you would have tasted Mexican food in many forms such as tortillas and quesadillas. Here is a much simpler snack that nevertheless has an unmistakable Mexican touch to it.
The Mexican Bread Rolls feature bread, deep-fried with a filling of sweet corn, capsicum and cheese bound with milk and flour, and flavoured with red chilli flakes.
Serve fresh and hot, with tomato ketchup, for a succulent snack that everybody will enjoy.
Enjoy how to make Mexican Bread Rolls recipe with detailed step by step photos below.
- Heat the butter in a broad non-stick pan, add the plain flour and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring continuously.
- Add the milk and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring continuously till no lumps remain or till the sauce turns thick.
- Add the corn, capsicum, cheese, chilli flakes and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring continuously.
- Transfer the mixture into another bowl and keep aside.
- Remove the crust from all the bread slices and roll each slice with help of a rolling pin.
- Apply some water at the edges of a bread slice.
- Place ½ tbsp of the filling in the centre of the bread slice, roll it up tightly and press the edges well to seal the stuffing.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 to make 10 more bread rolls.
- Heat the oil in a deep kadhai and deep-fry the mexican bread rolls, a few at a time, till they turn golden brown in colour from all the sides.
- Drain the mexican bread rolls on absorbent paper and serve immediately with tomato ketchup.
Mexican Bread Rolls Video
Mexican Bread Rolls recipe with step by step photos
We have a huge colletion of Mexican Starters on our website. So, apart from Mexican Bread Rolls you can try out recipes like:
To make the filling for the Mexican Bread Rolls, heat the butter in a broad non stick pan.
Add the plain flour into the pan and cook on a medium flame for about 1 minute. Keep stirring continuously to avoid the formation of lumps. This mixture is called roux and is used as a thickening agent for most sauces and soups. When the roux is cookes it will release a beautiful aroma.
Now, add the milk. It is very important to keep stirring the mixture continuously. Cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes till no lumps remain or till the sauce is thick. You can also use a whisk to stir the mixture.
Add the corn to the thick mixture. Mexicans eat a lot of corn or maize in different forms. It is a key ingredient of most of the dishes in Mexican cuisine.
Now, add the capsicum to perk up the flavours.
Add the cheese to enhance the texture and mouthfeel.
Add the chilli flakes for the desired amount of spice in the Mexican Bread Rolls.
Finally, add the salt to taste.
Mix the mixture well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring continuously to avoid burning.
After the mixture has thickened, transfer it into a bowl and keep aside to cool the mixture down slightly.
Take a bread slice and remove the crust with the help of a sharp knife.
Roll each slice with help of a rolling pin. Make sure that you use fresh bread slices. Stale or dry bread slices will break when you roll them.
Apply some water at the edges of a bread slice.
Put ½ tbsp of the filling in the centre of a bread slice.
Press the edges to seal the stuffing. Keep a small bowl filled with water right next to your bread slice so that the process of rolling and sealing the Mexican Bread Rolls becomes easier.
Repeat steps 2 to 4 to make 10 more Mexican Bread Rolls.
Heat the oil in a deep kadhai. Make sure that the oil is heated up well or else the bread will absorb too much of oil.
Deep-fry the Mexican Bread Rolls, three or four at a time, till they turn golden brown in colour from all the sides.
Drain absorbent paper to get rid of excess oil on Mexican Bread Rolls.
Serve the Mexican Bread Rolls immediately with tomato ketchup.
Q. Can i use cornflour slurry to coat the bread rolls before frying? Yes, you can use cornflour slurry to coat Mexican Bread Rolls. Use a proportion of 1/4 cup cornfour in 1/2 water.
Q.Can i microwave the Mexican Bread Rolls instead of fying? You can use and air fryer to make it. Microwave will make the Mexican bread rolls soggy.
Nutrient values per bread roll
|Vitamin A||117.8 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.2 mg|
|Vitamin C||7.2 mg|
|Folic Acid||1.6 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.