Methi Moong Dal Dhokla
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 77 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 28411 times
Methi Moong Dal Dhokla, are generally healthy, no doubt, but this is an even more nutritious version, as the dal is used with the skin and a leafy vegetable is also added.
Besan is added to bind the ingredients. Moong dal is rich in proteins, folic acid etc. , making this a nutri-scrumptious delight! You can also indulge your creative side and experiment by adding palak in place of methi, or other such combinations.
That said, remember to ensure proper consistency of the batter – if you add too much water while grinding, the Dhokla will neither be firm nor cooked properly.
- Clean, wash and soak the green moong dal in enough hot water for 2 hours. Drain and keep aside.
- Combine the drained green moong dal, green chillies and approx. 5 tbsp of water in a mixer and blend till smooth.
- Transfer the mixture in a deep bowl, add the fenugreek leaves, besan, asafeotida, sugar, 2 tsp of oil and salt and mix well.
- Just before steaming, add the fruit salt and add 2 tsp of water over it and mix gently.
- Pour batter in a greased 175 mm. (7") diameter thali and spread it to make an even layer.
- Steam the dhoklas for 12 minutes or till the dhoklas are cooked. Cool slightly.
- Heat the remaining 1 tsp of oil in a small non-stick pan, add the mustard seeds, sesame seeds and asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Pour this tempering over the prepared dhokla and cut it into 16 square pieces.
- Serve immediately with green chutney.
- Always use your hands while mixing the batter to break the lumps.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per piece
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.