Rava Dhokla, Semolina Dhokla, Suji Dhokla
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 190 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 239711 times
The Rava Dhokla is quick and easy to make, without requiring any grinding or fermenting, yet it is as fluffy and tasty as you would expect a dhokla to be, making it an ideal dish to whip up for breakfast or evening tea-time .
Just mix all the ingredients, let them rest for half an hour, and then steam the batter The tempering added on top of the dhokla after it is cooked is the master stroke, as in the case of any dhokla recipe. It gives the Semolina Dhokla a fabulous aroma and special flavour. Serve it with peppy green chutney to make a yummy snack.
Dhoklas are also a good accompaniment with Aamras , Puris and Karela Bateta Nu Shaak .
- Combine the semolina, curds, green chilli paste, 1 tbsp oil, salt and 1½ cups of water in a deep bowl, whisk well, cover with a lid and keep aside for 30 minutes.
- Just before steaming the dhoklas, add the fruit salt and 2 tsp of water. When the bubbles form, mix gently.
- Pour the batter immediately into a 175 mm. (7”) diameter greased thali and shake the thali clockwise to spread the batter in an even layer.
- Steam in a steamer for 12 minutes. Keep aside.
- Heat the remaining 1 tbsp of oil in a small non-stick pan, add the mustard seeds, sesame seeds and asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Pour the tempering over the dhoklas, sprinkle the coriander evenly over it.
- Cool slightly, cut into squares pieces.
- Serve immediately with green chutney.
Rava Dhokla Video by Tarla Dalal
Rava Dhokla, Semolina Dhokla, Suji Dhokla recipe with step by step photos
To make Rava Dhokla ( Suji Dhokla), first take the semolina in a deep bowl.
Add the curds to it. Curd helps in making Rava Dhokla ( Suji Dhokla) soft and gives a pleasant flavor.
Add the green chilli paste. It provides a nice spice to the Rava Dhokla ( Suji Dhokla). Then add 1 tbsp of oil and salt to taste.
- Add approximately 1½ cups of water in a deep bowl and whisk well. The quantity of water will vary according to the quality of the rava. Make sure that there are no lumps.
Cover with a lid and keep aside for 30 minutes. This recipe does not require any fermenting time making Rava Dhokla ( Suji Dhokla) an amazing option for quick breakfast or evening snack.
Just before steaming the Rava Dhokla ( Suji Dhokla), add the fruit salt and 2 tsp of water. Don’t mix it vigorously, just gently fold in so, that the air bubbles do not escape. Fruit salt provides a spongey, fluffy texture.
Pour the Rava Dhokla ( Suji Dhokla) batter immediately into a 175 mm. (7”) diameter greased thali and shake the thali clockwise to spread the batter in an even layer. Remember after adding the fruit salt, pour it immediately in the thali & don’t let the batter sit idle for long.
- Make sure water is bubbling in the steamer and then only put the thali to steam for 12 minutes.
After 12 minutes, open the lid and check if Rava Dhokla ( Suji Dhokla) are cooked. To check whether sooji dhokla are steamed perfectly, insert a knife or toothpick in it and check if it comes out clean. If it does not, then steam for another 2-3 minutes. Keep aside.
- For the suji dhokla tempering, heat the remaining 1 tbsp of oil in a small non-stick pan.
- Once the oil is hot, add the mustard seeds, sesame seeds and asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
Pour the tempering over the Rava Dhokla ( Suji Dhokla) and spread it evenly.
- Sprinkle the coriander evenly over it. You can also add freshly grated coconut if you wish to.
Cool slightly, cut Rava Dhokla ( Semolina Dhokla) into squares pieces.
Serve Rava Dhokla ( Semolina Dhokla) immediately with green chutney. For more Gujarati snack recipes, do check thepla, khandvi, patra.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.