Masoor Dal and Vegetable Khichdi
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 115 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 118576 times
Need an iron-boost? Go for this soothing Masoor Dal and Vegetable Khichdi! Made of a wholesome combination of dal, rice and vegetables cooked with aromatic spices, this traditional khichdi gives several nutrients including a significant amount of iron per serving. Flavourful and nutritious, this sumptuous dish is a complete meal in its own right.
- Soak masoor dal and brown rice in enough water for 30 minutes. Drain well and keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a pressure cooker, add the cloves, cinnamon, cumin seeds, cardamom and asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the onions and garlic paste and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the green peas, potatoes and french beans and sauté on a medium flame for another 2 minutes.
- Add the rice, masoor dal, turmeric powder, green chilli paste and salt and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add 4 cups of water, mix well and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Serve hot.
Khichdi-Bengali Style Video by Tarla Dalal
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.