How many calories does one serving of Masoor Dal Vegetable Khichdi have?
One serving of Masoor Dal Vegetable Khichdi gives 345 calories. Out of which carbohydrates comprise 249 calories, proteins account for 58 calories and remaining calories come from fat which is 36 calories. One serving of Masoor Dal and Vegetable Khichdi provides about 8 percent of the total daily calorie requirement of a standard adult diet of 2,000 calories.
See Masoor Dal and Vegetable Khichdi. Made of a wholesome combination of dal, rice and vegetables cooked with aromatic spices, this traditional khichdi gives several nutrients including a significant amount of iron per serving.
Is Masoor Dal and Vegetable Khichdi healthy?
Yes, but with some minor changes. Made from masoor dal, green peas, potatoes, french beans, onions, brown rice and spices.
Let's understand the Ingredients.
Masoor Dal : 1 cup of cooked Masoor dal gives 19 grams of protein. Being rich in Phosphorus it works with Calcium to build our bones. Masoor dal is rich in Folate, Vitamin B9 or Folic Acid which helps your body to produce and maintain new cells, especially red blood cells. Masoor dal is is good for diabetics and a healthy heart. See detailed 10 health benefits of masoor dal.
French Beans ( Fansi ) : French Beans is rich in folic acid. A deficiency of folic acid can also lead to anaemia, as like iron they are equally necessary to make red blood cells. Without enough folic acid, you can get easily tired. Pregnant women can also benefit from its folic acid count. It’s effective to achieve weight loss, overcome constipation, control blood sugar levels, treat high cholesterol as well as prevent cancer. See here for detailed 15 benefits of french beans.
Green Peas : Green peas are good for weight loss, good source of vegetarian protein, has insoluble fibre to relieve constipation. Legumes like green peas, cow peas, mung, chick peas and kidney beans have a cholesterol lowering effect. Green Peas are rich in Vitamin K which aids in bone metabolism. Is green peas good for diabetics and see full benefits of green peas.
Brown Rice : The glycemic indiex of brown rice is 20% lower than white rice Therefore, brown rice is good for people with diabetes if consumed in limited quantity. Being a good source of fibre that reduces high cholesterol levels and prevents atherosclerosis and good for your heart. Being a complex carbohydrate and low in GI. It is suitable for people on weight loss diet. See article is brown rice good for you?
What's the problem?
Potatoes (Aloo) : Potatoes being high in simple carbohydrates will lead to weight gain and are not good for people with diabetes, heart problem and obesity. Potatoes are recommended for malnourished children and people with low weight. See full details on why potatoes are bad for you.
Can diabetics, heart patients and over weight individuals have Masoor Dal and Vegetable Khichdi ?
Yes, you can. But remove the potatoes from the recipe and cut the amount of brown rice used by a bit.
Can healthy individuals have Masoor Dal and Vegetable Khichdi?
Yes, cut the potatoes out if possible.
Masoor Dal and Vegetable Khichdi is high in
1. Protein : Protein is required for the managing the wear and tear of all cells of the body.
2. Vitamin C : Vitamin C is a great defence against coughs and colds.
3. Magnesium : Magnesium is required for formation of bones and teeth. helps in the metabolism of calcium and potassium.
4. Phosphorous : Phosphorous works closely with calcium to build bones.
5. Zinc : Zinc is involved in collagen synthesis and this helps repair skin and helps build immunity.
6. Vitamin B1 : Vitamin B1 protects nerves, helps in carbohydrate metabolism, prevents heart diseases and helps produce red blood cells.
7. Fiber : Dietary fiber reduce the risk of heart disease, prevent the spike in blood sugar levels and hence super for diabetics. Consume more fruits, vegetables, moong, oats, matki, whole grains.
8. Iron : Iron is essential in the chemical reactions that produce energy from foods. Eat more greens and garden cress seeds to prevent you from being anaemic. Here are the top 7 sources of iron rich foods.
9. Vitamin B3 (niacin) : Vitamin B3 helps in brain functioning and mental health. Also healthy skin formation.
Note : a recipe is deemed high in a Vitamin or mineral if it meets 20% and above the recommended daily allowance based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
How to burn 345 calories that come from Masoor Dal and Vegetable Khichdi?
Walking (6 kmph) = 1hr 44 mins
Running (11 kmph) = 35 mins
Cycling (30 kmph) = 46 mins
Swimming (2 kmph) = 59 mins
Note: These values are approximate and calorie burning differs in each individual.