Low Calorie Apple Crumble
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 49 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 177402 times
Soft, sweet stewed apples and crunchy muesli – wow, they are just made for each other! This wonderful Low-Calorie Apple Crumble is made with healthy homemade muesli baked over a layer of cinnamon flavoured stewed apples. Walnuts, though a bit fatty, do more good than harm here as they are rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which keep the arteries healthy and elastic, strengthening the heart as well. An acceptable amount of brown sugar has been used to stew the apples, which cannot be done with a sugar substitute. However, this recipe still has considerably less fat and sugar than the traditional apple crumble, making it okay to enjoy this fibre-rich dessert as an occasional, portioned treat.
- Combine ½ cup of water, brown sugar, cinnamon sticks and lemon juice in a broad non-stick pan, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 30 seconds or till the brown sugar dissolves completely.
- Add the apples, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 7 to 8 minutes or till the apples turn soft, while stirring once in between.
- Discard the cinnamon and keep aside to cool slightly.
- Combine all the ingredients in a broad non-stick pan and lightly roast them on a slow flame for 2 minutes. Keep aside to cool slightly.
- Transfer the mixture into a bowl and keep aside to cool slightly.
- Grease a baking dish lightly using low-fat butter.
- Spread the stewed apples at the base of a baking dish and spread the muesli evenly over it.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 200°c (400°f) for 10 minutes or till the muesli turns golden brown in colour.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrient values per serving:
|Energy|| 144 kcal|
|Protein|| 3.0 gm|
|Carbohydrates|| 18.1 gm|
|Fat|| 6.5 gm|
|Fibre|| 2.4 gm|
|Cholesterol|| 0 mg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.