by Tarla Dalal
4/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 42 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 59389 times
Has the appearance and aroma of a chutney ever tempted you to dip your finger into the bowl and lick it? Well, this Ginger Chutney is sure to trigger such passion in you! The pungent notes of ginger combined with garlic, red chillies, tamarind, jaggery and spices, topped with a traditional tempering in coconut oil, make this tangy, sweet and sour chutney a lip-smacking treat, perfect for serving with idlis, dosas, and such sober dishes
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the ginger and garlic and sauté on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the red chillies, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, curry leaves and tamarind, mix well and sauté on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring continuously. Keep aside to cool.
- Add the jaggery, salt and approx. ½ cup of water and blend in a mixer to a smooth paste. Transfer the paste into a bowl and keep aside.
- For the tempering, heat the remaining ½ tbsp of oil in the small non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the chana dal, urad dal and red chillies and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the garlic and curry leaves and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Pour the tempering over the prepared paste and mix well.
- Store in an air-tight container and keep refrigerated. Use as required.
Nutrient values per tbsp
|Vitamin A||20.3 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0 mg|
|Vitamin C||0.1 mg|
|Folic Acid||0.6 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.