by Tarla Dalal
Added to 857 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 70758 times
The intense flavour of urad dal with its skin on is simply brilliant compared to the relatively bland de-skinned version. Together with chana dal and an assortment of spices, green chillies and onions, it transforms into a delicious dal that will make you lick your fingers! It is better to serve the Dal Banjari immediately on cooking, garnished with freshly chopped coriander, in order to retain the proper consistency. Over time, it has the tendency to thicken.
- Combine both the dals, turmeric powder, salt and 3 cups of water in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 4 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a deep non-stick pan, add the onions, cloves, cinnamon and red chillies and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste, green chillies and chilli powder and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the cooked dal, salt, lemon juice and 1 cup of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 8 to 10 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve immediately garnished with coriander.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||57.2 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.2 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.9 mg|
|Vitamin C||2 mg|
|Folic Acid||53.7 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.