Usal ( Healthy Subzi)
by Tarla Dalal
- हिन्दी में पढ़ें (Usal ( Healthy Subzi) in Hindi)
- ગુજરાતી માં વાંચો (Usal ( Healthy Subzi) in Gujarati)
Added to 173 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 91299 times
A traditional Maharashtrian preparation made healthier using an assortment of sprouted pulses. Sprouting not only increases the protein content but also makes the dish easier to digest and richer in calcium. While some methods of preparation use kokum, we have used tomatoes for tang so that it can be made easily by everybody, even in regions where kokum is not available.
- Heat the oil in a pressure cooker and add the cumin seeds and asafoetida.
- When the cumin seeds crackle, add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the dry garlic chutney, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring once in between.
- Add the mixed sprouts, turmeric powder, salt and 1½ cups of water, mix well and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Garnish with onions and coriander and serve hot with lemon wedges.
Usal ( Healthy Subzi) recipe with step by step photos
like healthy usal recipe | usal made with mixed sprouts | Maharashtrain sprouts usal sabzi |
what is healthy Usal made of ? See below image of list of ingredients for healthy usal.
Heat 2 tsp coconut oil or oil in a pressure cooker. Use coconut oil for a healthier diet and say no to processed seed oils.
Add 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera).
Add 1/4 tsp asafoetida (hing).
Let the seeds crackle.
Add 1/2 cup chopped onions.
Sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
Add 1 cup chopped tomatoes.
Cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
Add 3 tbsp readymade dry garlic chutney.
Cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring once in between.
Add 1 cup mixed sprouts (moong , chana , matki etc.).
Add 1/2 tsp turmeric powder (haldi).
Add salt to taste. We added xx tsp salt.
Add 1½ cups of water.
Pressure cook for 3 whistles.
Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
Garnish with onions and coriander.
Serve hot with lemon wedges.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
Missed out on our mailers?
Our mailers are now online!
View Mailer Archive
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.