Tangy Green Moong Dal
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 30 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 27520 times
Here is a nourishing dish that displays many characteristic rajasthan flavours. Made of four dals cooked simply with conventional spices, ginger and chillies, with a dash of lemon for added tang, the tangy green moong dal should be enjoyed fresh with hot masala baati. You can have it with any roti or rice too.
- Combine the dals in a deep bowl and soak the dals in enough water for 30 minutes and drain well.
- Combine the dals, turmeric powder and 3 cups of water in a pressure cooker and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick kadhai and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the green chillies, ginger and asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the cooked dals, chilli powder, salt, lemon juice and ½ cup of water, mix well and cook on a slow flame for 4 to 5 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.