How many calories does one serving of French Onion Soup, Vegetarian French Onion Soup have?
One serving of French Onion Soup, Vegetarian French Onion Soup gives 76 calories. Out of which carbohydrates comprise 20 calories, proteins account for 8 calories and remaining calories come from fat which is 49 calories. One serving of French Onion Soup, Vegetarian French Onion Soup provides about 4 percent of the total daily calorie requirement of a standard adult diet of 2,000 calories.
Click here to view French Onion Soup, Vegetarian French Onion Soup recipe. French onion soup recipe | vegetarian French onion soup | Indian style French onion soup is a simple soup with amazing startling flavour and aroma. Learn how to make vegetarian French onion soup.
To make French onion soup, heat the butter in a kadhai/ wok, add the onions and sauté on a slow flame for 3 to 4 minutes, or till they turn golden brown in colour. Add 4 cups of water, cheese and salt, mix well and allow it to boil on a high flame for 4 to 5 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Add the pepper powder and mustard powder, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally. For the cheese croutons, toast the bread slices in a pop-up toaster. Cut each bread slice into 4 equal square pieces. Apply little butter on each bread piece and sprinkle a little cheese on top. Just before serving, place 2 cheese croutons in the centre of 4 individual bowls. Pour equal quantities of the soup in each bowl and serve immediately.
Did you know that this classic soup in its original form dates back to the Roman times?! The French onion soup experienced a renaissance of sorts thanks to French cuisine.
The trick here is to slice the onions really fine. Cheese thickens the vegetarian French onion soup while mustard imparts a heady, pungent flavour. French Onion Soup is always served by pouring ladles of soup over a cheese crouton placed in a bowl. This soup is delectable and worth trying. Enjoy it!
For a 3 course meal after the Indian style French onion soup, serve Baked Crêpes with Capsicum Sauce, Stewed Green Tomatoes followed by Vanilla Ice-Cream with Flaming Sauce for dessert.
Tips for French onion soup.
1. The onions should be sautéed on a very slow flame so they get their brown colour, which is characteristic about this soup. If you want a slightly darker coloured soup, then sautéed the onions till they are slightly more brown in colour.
2. The cheese has salt in it, so remember to add less salt to the soup.
3. The soup can be made in advance and reheat before serving. But the toast should be made just before serving.
Is French Onion Soup, Vegetarian French Onion Soup healthy?
No, this is not healthy.
Let's understand the Ingredients of French Onion Soup, Vegetarian French Onion Soup.
What's good in French Onion Soup, Vegetarian French Onion Soup
Onions (pyaz, kanda) : Raw onions are a very valuable source of vitamin C – the immune building vitamin. Along with other phytonutrients from onions, it helps to build WBC (white blood cells) which serves as a line of defence against illness. Yes, it’s a source of many antioxidants, the most important one amongst them being Quercetin. The quercetin in Onions promotes production of HDL (good cholesterol) and lowers total cholesterol in the body. The sulphur in onions act as a blood thinner and prevents blood clotting too. This in turn would lower blood pressure and good for heart, diabetics. Read the benefits of onions.
Processed Cheese : Regardless of the type of milk used to create it, processed cheese is a concentrated source of the nutrients naturally found in milk, including calcium. Inclusion of artificial additives in processed cheeses and the higher levels of salt are a little daunting when purchasing this type of cheese. Processed Cheese also contains a large amount of other essential nutrients such as phosphorous, zinc, riboflavin, vitamin B12 and vitamin A. It is a dense source of high quality protein.
Benefits of Black Pepper ( kali mirch) : Black pepper has been identified to stimulate the digestive juices and enzymes in the gut thus lending a helping hand in maintaining digestive health. The antibacterial nature of black pepper helps to relieve cold and cough, especially when black pepper is ground and mixed with honey and consumed. kali mirch may help in maintaining normal blood sugar levels as it improves insulin sensitivity. So diabetics and weight watchers with high blood sugar levels both can benefit from black pepper. Kalimich is known to boost metabolism and promote fat cell breakdown. Yes, the piperine in it may help you overcome obesity, weight loss. See detailed benefits of black pepper, kali mirch.
Mustard Powder: Powdered mustard is a combination of brown and white seeds mixed with turmeric or saffron for added flavour and colour. Mustard is known to be very helpful for digestion, and can help to speed up your metabolism. It is antibacterial, antifungal, antiseptic and has anti-inflammatory properties.
What's problem in French Onion Soup, Vegetarian French Onion Soup.
Plain flour (maida) : This recipe uses plain flour or maida which is refined carb not suitable for healthy lifestyle. Maida consumption in any food should be totally avoided or use in very small quantities as any consumption of this will cause a larger spike in blood sugar levels which is not good for diabetics, heart patients. The development of prediabetes comes from uncontrolled eating sugar and refined food products for many years and the classic symptom is if you have excess belly fat. This leads to diabetes and further onwards to heart attack, high blood pressure, strokes, impotence and kidney damage. Read is maida good for you to understand fully.
Butter : Butter contains 80% fats and it comprises of many types of fatty acids. Butter has short chain fatty acids and medium chain fatty acids which are broken down and absorbed into the body directly and go straight to the liver and get converted to fuel to be used by the muscles. Due to this anti-inflammatory effect, it is said to have a positive effect in treating Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS). Recent research shows that small amounts of butter has positive effects on heart health. So diabetics too can have small quantity of butter and balance it with other types of fats they consume. A tbsp. of butter fulfils 8% of your days requirement of vitamin A. This Vitamin A is a powerful antioxidant which is essential for glowing skin health and immune function. We suggest you read about butter the super food.
Note : 1 cup = 200 ml (standard cup available in the market). The weight in grams varies for each ingredient.
Can diabetics, heart patients and over weight individuals have French Onion Soup, Vegetarian French Onion Soup?
No, this recipe is not good and healthy for diabetics, heart and weight loss. White bread made with plain flour, sugar, yeast etc. It would worked if switching from white bread to whole wheat bread or brown bread thats helps relieve constipation. Secondly, butter has high amount of fats, so better to avoid it.
Can healthy individuals have French Onion Soup, Vegetarian French Onion Soup?
No, this is not good and healthy soup for healthy lifestyle.
Which are healthy Indian soup options?
We suggest you opt for healthy soups like spinach paneer and dal soup recipe, Onion Thyme Soup, broccoli broth recipe, rajma soup, minty vegetable and oats soup, healthy indian tomato soup or moong soup.
Onion Thyme Soup
8 Pointers to get healthy on a Indian diet.
1. Eat healthy and say yes to good home cooked food. Prefer whole grains like oatmeal, quinoa, buckwheat, barley and healthy flours like bajra flour, jowar flour, quinoa flour, wheat flour etc. rather than refined ones like maida. Have healthy Indian fats like ghee, coconut, coconut oil in your diet.
2. Opt out of junk food, packaged food, deep fried foods. Prefer steamed snacks and other non-fried snacks. Check out some Healthy Indian Snacks. Remember to eat small frequent meals through the day as that will keep you always full and prevent your blood sugar from dropping. By starving your body through some diet, will not help you one bit. In fact, dieting will make you binge on 2 to 3 meals which is not good.
3. Have 4 to 5 servings of vegetables and 2 to 3 servings of fruit is a must. Follow the logic of a vegetable in each main meal of the day and a fruit in-between meals. Check out a few Healthy Indian Soups and Healthy Indian Salads recipes using this food group.
4. Cut down on sugar and salt in your diet and pick honey ( very small amounts) or dates to sweeten your food. Slowly cut the sugar habit as this is not going to happen over night. Sugar is also called white poison. It is a simple carbohydrate with zero nutritional value. On intake, sugar will cause inflammation of the body which will last for many hours. It will spike your blood sugar level and shut down the fat burning process. This also causes high blood sugar levels in your body. The development of prediabetes comes from uncontrolled eating sugar and refined food products for many years and the classic symptom is if you have excess belly fat. This leads to diabetes and further onwards to heart attack, high blood pressure, strokes, impotence and kidney damage.
Salt and blood pressure. Apart from stress and obesity, one of the main reasons for high blood pressure is excessive sodium and salt intake. Most people find it difficult to limit the amount of salt in their cooking, thinking it will affect the taste of their favourite dishes.
This is not true. Bajra and jowar are rich in potassium and critical for those with High Blood Pressure as it lessens the impact of sodium. Eating more Potassium Rich Foods will remove more sodium from your body through urine. So include the basic bajra roti and jowar roti in your daily diet to have with Lower Blood Pressure Subzis Recipes.
5. Befriend a few healthy seeds and nuts like chia seeds, flax seeds, sesame seeds, walnuts and almonds.
6. Sprouts are called ‘living food’. They are high is most nutrients and easy to digest as well. Let them feature in your meals at least thrice a week. Also Read : All Benefits about Sprouts.
7. Exercise 45 minutes every day. No excuse. You can walk fast, run, do weights, play your favourite sport or go to the gym. No activity reduces muscle tissue which will lead to muscke loss and all kinds of problems with that.
8. Sleep early and get up early. Get your body into rhythm and it will function best. Sleep helps your body to recover and makes you look much younger. Also getting good sleep prevent muscle loss.
How to burn 76 calories that come from French Onion Soup, Vegetarian French Onion Soup?
|Walking (6 kmph) =
|Running (11 kmph) =
|Cycling (30 kmph) =
|Swimming (2 kmph) =
Note: These values are approximate and calorie burning differs in each individual.