Tamatar ka Kut, Hyderabadi Tomato Curry Recipe
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 24 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 9595 times
One of the most popular delicacies in the Telangana region, Tamatar ka Kut is a rich and spicy curry of tomatoes, flavoured with a powder of roasted sesame, groundnut and coconut. The ‘kut’ in the recipe name refers to this dry-roasted and powdered spice mix.
This eggless version of Tamatar ka Kut has a rich, creamy and nutty flavour, punctuated by the tangy notes of tomatoes. The use of ingredients like onion seeds and garlic in the tempering also contributes to the flavour and aroma of this delicacy.
Serve it hot with rice or rotis . You can also try other Hyderabadi specialties like Mirchi ka Salan and Khubani ka Meetha .
- In a small non-stick pan, roast the groundnuts, sesame seeds, coconut and cumin seeds on a medium flame for 3 minutes. Keep aside to cool slightly.
- Blend in a mixer to fine powder without using any water. Keep aside.
- In a deep non-stick pan, combine the tomatoes, chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, dry roasted powder, garlic paste, ginger paste, tamarind pulp, sugar, salt and 1 cup of water, mix well and cook on a slow flame for 14 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Cool completely, blend in the mixer till smooth.
- Transfer it to a deep non-stick pan, add ¾ cup of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Heat the oil in a small non-stick pan, add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, onion seeds, garlic and curry leaves and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Pour the above tempering into the tomato-mixture, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.