Panch Ratani Dal
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 84 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 39810 times
A delightful combination of five dals, simmered with not just whole spices but a bouquet of aromatic spice powders too! The Panch Ratani Dal also gets the right amount of tang from curds and tomatoes, which complements the spiciness very well. Rich in folic acid and fibre, this flavourful dal is also good for your heart.
- Wash and soak the dals together in warm water for 1 hour. Drain and keep aside.
- Combine the dals and 4 cups of water in a pressure cooker and pressure for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Combine the curds and cooked dal in a deep bowl, mix well and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the cardamoms, cinnamon and cumin seeds and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- When the cumin seeds crackle, add the onion and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, coriander powder, chilli powder, turmeric powder, cumin seeds powder and fennel powder, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Lower the flame and the dal-curds mixture and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.